• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X3 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys. Just thought I'd post my results for this awesome CPU. See my sig below. I think I have hit a wall though, but 3.72ghz is satisying for me on air. I tried undervolting at this speed with no luck, prime would hang itself after 3 minutes. But at 1.47v it stays stable for 24 hours.

I'm extremely jealous. Thats a nice OC.

After days of tinkering with the FSB, I can't get my chip to get above 3.5ghz @ 1.45v. It needs more than 1.5v to get to 3.6ghz.

Also tried enabling the 4th core. Got it to boot and run prime at stock speeds, but when I try to OC it is unstable.

Damn I got a #$@#ty chip.

Since I think this thread needs a bump, ill post some pics of my phenom 2 720 system to make the bump somewhat related to the topic. specs are listed in my sig. What do yall think? Thats about the best wire management I could get without cutting up my case. The system is currently in my basement running prime since my Samsung monitor died again. I figured it would be a good time to put it in the nice cool basement and do some overnight stress runs with it.

2009%5C04%5C18%5Cbikepics-1639060-full.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1656141-full.jpg

and just for kicks, a picture of my pride and joy.. my expensive hobby... If I put the same amount of money into my computer as I do this thing, I could have built a dozen i7 965 systems with quad 285's

2009%5C04%5C28%5Cbikepics-1650393-full.jpg

2009%5C04%5C28%5Cbikepics-1650390-full.jpg

4th core unlocked and overclocked again!

I just set up another new rig for a friend (replicating my own set up), with a few improvements. Piece of cake.

4 Cores @ 3.64, passing Prime95 (3 hours) and OCCT (1 hour). Who says 4 cores requires luck and is not stable? Using the same formula as my first build, I was able to achieve better results the second time around with ease. Alot of the overclockability depends on the memory you use. The second time, I used Mushkin.

Here's the secret formula:

ASrock aod790gx and Phenom II x3 720 with good ram.

With OCZ Reaper 1066, I can only get to 960 mhz when I overclock to 3.6 ghz with 4 cores.

has anyone here had to up their NB voltage (not cpu nb) to get an overclock 100% stable, I was pulling my hair out trying to get every last program stable on my rig (at speed in my sig), and could pass Prime for 14 hours, about 5 hours of prime small fft, 150 linpacks of both 10000 and max memory, but OCCT would'nt ever complete, would always blue screen at somewhere between 5-8 hours in. I finally said WTF so I tried upping nb and sb both to 1.3 volts and now my system seems happy, its about 20hr 50min into occt medium workset, which i have heard is like prime blend just more stenous.

Also have touched NB heatsink and it is a little warm but not any warmer to the touch than it was a 1.2v

has anyone here had to up their NB voltage (not cpu nb) to get an overclock 100% stable, I was pulling my hair out trying to get every last program stable on my rig (at speed in my sig), and could pass Prime for 14 hours, about 5 hours of prime small fft, 150 linpacks of both 10000 and max memory, but OCCT would'nt ever complete, would always blue screen at somewhere between 5-8 hours in. I finally said WTF so I tried upping nb and sb both to 1.3 volts and now my system seems happy, its about 20hr 50min into occt medium workset, which i have heard is like prime blend just more stenous.

Also have touched NB heatsink and it is a little warm but not any warmer to the touch than it was a 1.2v

Yes I had to up them both +0.1v to get fully stable. Did you replace the TIM under the mobo heatsinks? May help temps a lot and can't hurt. My SB wasn't even touching the heatsink when I replaced mine.

Since I think this thread needs a bump, ill post some pics of my phenom 2 720 system to make the bump somewhat related to the topic. specs are listed in my sig. What do yall think? Thats about the best wire management I could get without cutting up my case. The system is currently in my basement running prime since my Samsung monitor died again. I figured it would be a good time to put it in the nice cool basement and do some overnight stress runs with it.

2009%5C04%5C18%5Cbikepics-1639060-full.jpg

2009%5C05%5C03%5Cbikepics-1656141-full.jpg

and just for kicks, a picture of my pride and joy.. my expensive hobby... If I put the same amount of money into my computer as I do this thing, I could have built a dozen i7 965 systems with quad 285's

2009%5C04%5C28%5Cbikepics-1650393-full.jpg

2009%5C04%5C28%5Cbikepics-1650390-full.jpg

That quad looks like it is ready to rip when it is standing still! Once my daddio sells the sleds (two polaris and a ski-doo if anyone is interested) we are going to get a yamaha raptor 250/350 or a honda 350. Also OT, I have a friend with a sweeeeet yamaha yz125 and he has about as much money into it as you do. This thing rips balls off.

Yes I had to up them both +0.1v to get fully stable. Did you replace the TIM under the mobo heatsinks? May help temps a lot and can't hurt. My SB wasn't even touching the heatsink when I replaced mine.

Not yet i was trying to get it stable non modded (did'nt want to take motherboard out just yet)

However I have found a wierd conflict which if googled happens to quite a few other people and do not yet know the reason. My system when stress testing with OCCT does'nt like screen savers, It freaks out and the os desktop goes blank. I have disable screen saver and only use the turn off display option and have'nt had any problems yet, but It repeated this when I was at this speed, at stock (2600 with sb and ht at 2000), and with system underclocked to 1800 mhz with memory (which is default 1066) at 400mhz and ht and nb at 1000mhz, so i would assume one could say that overclock could'nt be culprit, maybe driver issue of some type. Will run memtest when this occt finishes 24 hours just for kicks but OCCT probably would find an error in 24 hours if it was a true hardware issue i would assume.

Right now I am running 3.4ghz with 1.38v on the proc with 8gig of ram at 1600. The only other voltage I have had to up so far was the ram voltage to get it stable at 1600. i think it is set to 1.95v but I am hoping to be able to turn that down a wee bit.

Last edited:
I meant that his MB may have 8Pin but he could have only 4 connected, which would be identical to my situation being unable to get over 3600 no matter what.

you can run a quad core on a 2x2 or 1x4 pin. only when you start overclocking that quad is when a 2x4 pin becomes necessary. a 1x4 or 2x2 is good for up to 130 watts if I recall correctly. AMD quads are 125w. I have a pretty decent PSU but it only has a 1x4 pin and it runs just fine.

your limit may be your PSU or it's efficiency, but not the lack of 12v pins. It also may just be your motherboard.

yeah i know, dead thread alert ;)

BUMP FROM THE PAST!

Back