• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So disappointed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

We build awesome systems, OC them and wait for something to step in their path worthy of all our effort (PC games in my example) BUT WHERE ARE THEY ? :confused:

I want a graphically intensive action packed PC game but they are no where to be found. All this new hardware just goes to waste IMO. Yeah i can crunch numbers and fly through windows commands but i want eye candy and action. What is happening to great PC games ?!?

Blame Consoles

Consoles = DirectX 9 Only
Consoles = Developers get more profit and thus don't care much about PC
Consoles = Games get ported to PC instead of the opposite and thus you get very similar to console graphics

To sum it up consoles are limiting the graphic development department in games for PC.

The tendency if you see these years has been. "Get a new video card and you can run your game in 3 screens!!!" Instead of the normal "Get a new video card and you can run this game!!!!!1"

There you have it.

Last edited:
Blame Consoles

Oh i do. I just don't understand how all this latest technology sells when there isn't even anything out there to show its true potential. People want 6 , 8, 10 cores but for what ? Todays games seem so basic and predictable.

Blame Consoles

Consoles = DirectX 9 Only
Consoles = Developers get more profit and thus don't care much about PC
Consoles = Games get ported to PC instead of the opposite and thus you get very similar to console graphics

The tendency if you see these years has been. "Get a new video card and you can run your game in 3 screens!!!" Instead of the normal "Get a new video card and you can run this game :D!!!"

There you have it.

Good point.

Look at this.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-eyfinity-editorial-review/6

All of that with just one (single card). Things have changed to some weird direction these days.

Hardware in those videos:

Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
MSI AMD 790FX motherboard
Phenom II 955BE Processor
2x2GB DDR3 memory 1066 MHz
Samsung 500 GB HDD
Dell 2408WFP (x3) [ at 5760x1200 (3 24" monitors @ 1920x1200) ]

I wouldn't just blame consoles. There is some more blame to pass around.

That is the blame laid on companies who know that not everyone is buying the best of the best as it releases. The sole purpose of any company is to make money, and to lock out a strong majority of the market is, quite honestly, bad business.

There is also the gap. Many games are designed around the technology that is available at the time the development starts, but by the time the game releases the technology has gotten better. If they tried to match pace, the game would never release.

These are just some of the problems you are facing. There is always the problem of companies underfunding games and expecting half finished versions to be profitable, mmorpgs are famous for this problem.

If you really want something to challenge your card, go get Arma 2 and crank those graphics up.

1920x1200 resolution
GF100-ArmaA2-1920.png

There is also the gap. Many games are designed around the technology that is available at the time the development starts, but by the time the game releases the technology has gotten better. If they tried to match pace, the game would never release.

If you really want something to challenge your card, go get Arma 2 and crank those graphics up.

1920x1200 resolution
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/original/2010/03/GF100-ArmaA2-1920.png

I disagree on the 1st statement. Developers develop around consoles, the technology has been the same for years, even before those consoles were made.

On the second statement. I agree, the only game that makes your video card bend to its knees is ARMA II. Even way more than Crysis. But we need more new stuff to play with.

[edit]

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Found that interesting.

Well, I need to take a break from the forums, have been here for like 6 hours, lol.

Last edited:
I did not say that didn't happen. I said it wasn't the only cause.

Huh? I'm just saying that the technology can't get better unless a new set of consoles come out. Hence in this current console generation technology hasn't got better. I was referring to this sentence:

" Many games are designed around the technology that is available at the time the development starts, but by the time the game releases the technology has gotten better."

Ummm....I may be the odd guy out here but I am rather happy to be ahead of the curve a little bit while game technology catches up w/ the hardware. A few years ago people had to really spend some serious coin or really tweak their computers to keep up w/ the new games (crysis anyone). its nice to buy a new game..any new game really and play it on full settings...any my hardware is nowhere near bleeding edge.

There are some dx 11 games out now. I think it's moving faster than dx 10 did. Even wow has an experimental dx 11 mode now.

Ummm....I may be the odd guy out here but I am rather happy to be ahead of the curve a little bit while game technology catches up w/ the hardware. A few years ago people had to really spend some serious coin or really tweak their computers to keep up w/ the new games (crysis anyone). its nice to buy a new game..any new game really and play it on full settings...any my hardware is nowhere near bleeding edge.

While it really pushed hardware, it was a flop for a game in my opinion. I promise you more people benchmarked with it than played it for more than an hour.

:attn:

That's the reason the majority of the people who play it like it. It's not some Counter-Strike run and gun FPS.

Maybe ill give it another try. The part where its really hard to get over is those stupid robot voice overs. Its like creating a beautiful car only to put square wheels on it ! What were they thinking ?

I would have to say Black Ops stresses systems pretty good. Not so much because it is high quality/performance but because it was built like crap. I've had to help a couple of my clan guys unlock a third core just so it can run good.

I also think another factor is all these f2p and stuff coming out. They makes tons of cash and like a good amount of games being made don't push hardware at all. I have friends that still game on there p4 and 754 rigs lol. But that's because theres still tons of games that are made with older rigs in mind.

I personally like it these days because I rarely ever have bleeding edge stuff, or even close to it. So my old rig can run a lot of the stuff i play or get into decent or awesome lol. But i will say i'd like to see more games do like i remember UT did. Make the game possible to be ran on super ultra low settings for them really old machines and then have it so you can crank it way up for the really high end machines. But i'm sure that cost more production money in the end?

Back