• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI twin frozr III 7950 vs. XFX 7870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HelenKellerSwag

Registered
So guys as the title implies, i've got a good old fashioned gpu standoff,there is a 20 dollar price difference,and i'm no hardware master so explain to me what should be done here, I play at 1920x1080 on a single monitor, 8 gb ddr3 ram 4.5 ghz i5 2500k 610 w psu

MSI Twin Frozr 7950 hands down. You might get like 5-10% better performance with the 7950 over the 7870. Plus, the Twin Frozr is a WAY better cooling solution.

This last part is my personal experience and bad luck, so you don't have to take it to the bank. Although, I've had 3 XFX cards in my lifetime, and all 3 had some sort of issue within 6 months of owning them. 1st one (9600GT) constantly crashed ANY driver I installed. 2nd one (5870) Had an issue with it's bus straight out of the box. 3rd one (6870) would give me black screens of doom randomly.

XFX does give a lifetime warrenty. But the 7950 is not only a more powerful card...the MSI Twin Frozr cooler is one of the best. +1 to Cojac's suggestion, MSI hands down.

MSI Twin Frozr 7950 hands down. You might get like 5-10% better performance with the 7950 over the 7870. Plus, the Twin Frozr is a WAY better cooling solution.

This last part is my personal experience and bad luck, so you don't have to take it to the bank. Although, I've had 3 XFX cards in my lifetime, and all 3 had some sort of issue within 6 months of owning them. 1st one (9600GT) constantly crashed ANY driver I installed. 2nd one (5870) Had an issue with it's bus straight out of the box. 3rd one (6870) would give me black screens of doom randomly.
Alright the twin frozr it is then man ! thanks guys

@Knufire , lifetime warranty is funny thing .. if it's not described other way then it's usually 1 year after end of production , simply it's usually 2 years warranty ;)

All 3 of my cards were under warranty, and I only contacted them the first 2 times. Both times they helped my promptly via the website PM system. Although, they wanted me to spend the rest of my life chatting with them. After exchanging PM's for well over a week they still weren't ready to take my card back, they still wanted to do some more "troubleshooting." So I just gave up on them and sold the card on eBay for parts. Same thing for the second one.

I understand they don't want to take back a bunch of cards that are in 100% working condition, and were only giving the consumer problems because of user error. Albeit, after asking the customer to try their computer on Mars, scuba diving, while reading the newspaper they should just take the thing back and send me a new one!

I have known people have really good luck with their XFX cards though, I guess I just had bad luck.

Back