• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new cell phone, which would you choose and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
Samsung Galaxy S4

or
Samsung Galaxy Note 2

I originally wanted the Note 2, but now I have doubts about it only because of the beautiful 441 PPI 1920 x 1080 display of the S4. I have a few "must haves". I must have a desktop charger with spare battery plus a car mount to use Google navigation. Battery run time and smoothness is key as well. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Note 2. Both are Quad cores 1.6 vs 1.9. The Note 2 has a 3100Ma battery vs the S4's 2600Ma. 5.5" vs 5" without the pen.. I would probably get the extended battery for either phone because I need longevity... Which would you get?

Most people I've talked to can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on screens smaller than 5" (comparing the S3 to the HTC One or the Droid DNA). Haven't played with a Note 2 in person though.

To me the phone is not a big deal, it the carrier that more important to me
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 for the past 6 month, very happy with it, i also use Sprint because they have unlimited talk, text and data

Most people I've talked to can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on screens smaller than 5" (comparing the S3 to the HTC One or the Droid DNA). Haven't played with a Note 2 in person though.

I would agree with you there.. 1080p on a 5" display is kind of pointless, but for some reason Samsung seems to think its important.. Bigger, better, different..

But based on specs alone which would you chose?

To me the phone is not a big deal, it the carrier that more important to me
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 for the past 6 month, very happy with it, i also use Sprint because they have unlimited talk, text and data

The phone has to work too... I have Verizon.. I'm tired of my phones crawling after a few months...

Last edited:
Fiance got a note 2. It's pretty amazing. Big, though. I'd feel awfully silly using it as a phone. As a super ultra portable computer with a phone function it's great though.

Fiance got a note 2. It's pretty amazing. Big, though. I'd feel awfully silly using it as a phone. As a super ultra portable computer with a phone function it's great though.

Correction; It's a Phablet

If you use it a lot, screen size is king for productivity. I have extremely small hands, so I would probably go for the S4 myself, but end up recommending the Note 2 to others.

Samsung note is too big, i think that phone is for woman who don't want to carry the big tablet and a phone together in their bag.
Another thing is i'm an anti Apple guy so i don't recommend Apple product to anyone.

Another thing is i'm an anti Apple guy so i don't recommend Apple product to anyone.

Most computer geeks don't use apple products, including myself. When they removed Google from the iPhone I lost interest, quickly!

S4 in my opinion. I've played with a coworkers note2 and it was way too big IMO.

Neither. If you don't care for instagram, I'd jump ship to something better overall that doesn't need 16 cores to be somewhat smooth running.

On topic, I'd definitely skip the Note. That damn thing is huge, unless holding something like an iron up on your face is your thing.

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint (79.99$ -> Unlimited 4G, unlimited text, 450 anytime minutes). It's low minutes, but it's unlimited night time (7PM+) and free mobile to mobile.

Sprint's 4G LTE is really good in Chicago, but few other cities right now. I'm able to get 20Mbit / 10Mbit / ~40-50ms on speedtest. During the day when the network is busy it's more like 10Mbit / 5Mbit.

Right now the best phones are iPhone 5, HTC One, Galaxy S4. If you want the Note, the Note III is coming out soon.

For me my phone is all about media and videos, more like a tablet. The Galaxy S4 is really awesome for video media. The OLED screen does way better than LCDs in sunlight too. The iPhone 5 and HTC One are better for pictures / texting / phone calls imo.

Edit - Ahhhhhhhhhhh I have to change my signature color after you guys changed the background to be so light!

How come nobody here show any love for the Nokia Lumia 920, i think that it one of the best phone in the market right now, my wife have one, too bad, i'm stuck with the Samsung Galaxy S3 for another 13 month, otherwise, i would go get myself a Lumia 920

Why not an s3? They are extraordinary phones at a great price right now, but between the two get the s4, the note 2 is almost too big to be considered a phone for everyday use. I regret buying it.

How come nobody here show any love for the Nokia Lumia 920, i think that it one of the best phone in the market right now, my wife have one, too bad, i'm stuck with the Samsung Galaxy S3 for another 13 month, otherwise, i would go get myself a Lumia 920

Seriously, I thought I was the only here who loves it. It’s an amazing phone. Wouldn’t trade it for anything Android has out in the market right now, nothing comes close. Forget about the iToys. What makes it even better is how it integrates nicely with all your devices (especially if your OS is Win 8). It’s just a no brainer.

It's not that it's not good, it's just that this is the smartphone market. If it's one quarter older than the new ones, it's already worse. But I mean in reality it's like the new phones are A+++ and your phone is only A++. Also props for showing Microsoft mobile OS some love, it's pretty good. Unfortunately, pretty good doesn't cut it against Google.

The smartphone wars are fun to be apart of. The most competitive marketplace in the history of the world (think about it).

Back