• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780 Ti, but which one ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-O_S-H

So I should be ordering my new setup in the next few days and have decided to get a 780 Ti, but i cant decide which model to get.

I was looking at the EVGA SOC ACX (£520), but have found I can get the Matrix Platinum for £25 more.

This is going into a BitFenix Prodigy so it has to be a true dual slot card otherwise I would have probably bought the HoF for £500.

What do you guys think, or are there better options ?

J-O_S-H

All GTX 780ti perform the same because under the hood, it the same chip, I have always stick with ASUS, for motherboard and GPU because of their excellent support and service, plus the level of feature on their motherboard is awesome. but i guess that you're live in Europe and i don't know how good is ASUS service over there.

I'll throw in my vote for any of the EVGA ACX models, that cooler is top-notch.
Never once has any of the five that I've used been anything but silent, even under long gaming sessions.

On top of that, you can't touch EVGA's customer service, even in Europe.
I know of people that have had EVGA cross ship with them when they lived outside America.

Almost all GTX780Ti have reference PCB so no matter what you pick from more standard series, you will get the same in a different package.

ASUS DC2 is probably the best option for the price as it has better PCB and better cooling.
Each brand has about 1-2 cards on non-reference PCB. Like MSI Lightning, ASUS DC2 or Matrix, EVGA Classified, ...
It doesn't really matter for regular users but if you care to overclock higher and keep better vrm temps etc then is good to pick improved PCB version.

EVGA SOC is just a reference card with better cooling so Matrix will be for sure better option but you probably won't see any special difference picking much cheaper DC2.

In EU ASUS support depends from country/region. ASUS is signing contracts with local support centers who fix stuff for them so quality depends from each unit. In Poland ASUS support improved a lot in last years and now I can't complain but in the past it was pain.

I'm still waiting for my replacement card to arrive so I can buy this stuff, but seems that the ASUS DCUII is only £500 some places.

Will grab it if I can, so depressing having an empty case here waiting to be filled up.

Thanks Guys :)

Since I have more time before I can buy this i've been looking around a bit and found a very nice looking 2 slot card by PNY and it's pretty cheap.

PNY GTX 780Ti XLR8 OC Pure Performance

IMG_8370.jpg

It's not white like it may look, it's actually an Aluminium shroud.

What are your views on PNY, I know they've been around a while, i've just never bought anything from them.

+ 1

I would go with the Asus card.

It just has to many upsides for what they charge for it to be ignored IMO

I was planning on getting everything from SCAN, the ASUS one is £60 more there. Quite a difference. PLus I like the look of the PNY one a lot.

Wow that is a premium price to pay. It is very similar to reference pricing here in the states that really makes it a great value. You will be fine with a reference card. Personally if I was to buy a reference design I would go with the eVGA packing the ACX cooler based on service after the sale and cooler performance. That being said I have owned a few PNY cards and have not had any problems out of the ordinary. If you really like the look of that card I say go for it :thup:

Parts Ordered :

1x 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Cerulean Blue, PC3-12800 (1600), CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

1x 500GB Samsung 840 EVO Basic SSD 7mm SATA 6GB/s 3-core MEX Controller Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s 98K IOPS

1x Intel Core i5 4690K S1150, Haswell, 4 Core, 3.5GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 5 GT/s DMI, 1.2GHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail

1x ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC, Intel Z97, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DP/DVI/HDMI, Mini ITX

1x 3GB PNY GTX 780 Ti XLR8 OC Pure Performance, PCIe 3.0, 7000MHz GDDR5, GPU 980MHz, Boost 1046MHz, Cores 2880, DP/DVI/HDMI

Should have everything by wednesday. Will post pics.

The Asus GPU I have is the first non-EVGA GPU I've ever owned. I bought it because I got a great deal and thus far, I'm very happy. Whether I'll ever switch back to EVGA remains to be seen.

The Asus 780Ti DCU II OC is better than anything eVGA has on the table barring shelling out for a classy or a KPE

The Asus 780Ti DCU II OC is better than anything eVGA has on the table barring shelling out for a classy or a KPE

Have you ever dealt with Asus's support? Theyre a bunch of *******s and repeatedly screw people by inflicting damage on parts sent to them so they dont have to replace them.

The matrix platinum and the dc2 are good cards, but I wont ever deal with Asus support after seeing all of the horror stories, and experiencing one myself with a motherboard.

Buy a evga classy or a SC acx, they clock very well and evga's support is top notch. Evga replaced a 780ti SC ACX that a friend of mine blew from his own stupidity. (ran furmark at 1250/1850 with TDP set at 450W because it was throttling, blew a VRM and somehow a memory chip.)
He even shipped it with a botched bios install and they replaced it no questions asked.

Have you ever dealt with Asus's support? Theyre a bunch of *******s and repeatedly screw people by inflicting damage on parts sent to them so they dont have to replace them.

The matrix platinum and the dc2 are good cards, but I wont ever deal with Asus support after seeing all of the horror stories, and experiencing one myself with a motherboard.

I have seen people talk about this, but my experiences (granted with workstation class equipment) has been all positive with them. In addition, I have had very few reasons to contact the support department

Haters going to hate... studies show.

Being serious, there are some horror stories out there with ASUS... and MSI, and Giga, and EVGA. Some may not be as blatent, others, similar. I am a gambler and would take my chances with non ROG ASUS products personally... Some get hung up on it and refuse to use them (which is OK too, just not something I would do).

Back