• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Intel i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) Review

• Thread starter Overclockers.com
  • Start date
Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
O

Overclockers.com

Intel i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) Review
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)

SandyBridge_WholeWafer_smaller-300x285.jpg

New architectures are a blast. Not only do we get new hardware to toy with, but we see greater efficiency and new features. The gag order has been lifted on Intel's latest offering: 'Sandy Bridge'. We're only too happy to bring you all the juicy details on the i7 2600K CPU and P67 motherboard we're looking at today!

SNB-QCDie-alternate_smaller-300x149.jpg

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Digg | Reddit | StumbleUpon

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Last edited by a moderator:
Very impressed with the efficiency of this architecture:thup:

Excellent review Jeremy, thanks for getting it out so early :)

Wow, He did that whole review with that intel heatsink?
Does that mean we should be able to get the 2600k to it's max overclock with
something like a NH-D14?

It looks like no top end improvement per se, just some efficiency and improved value downstream.

...this thing is fast: 5.0 GHz, on air...

5 ghz on air? That's amazing! I find it odd that the lower the temp, the lower the OC. What's up with that?

Thanks for the kind words Edmund!
Wow, He did that whole review with that intel heatsink?
Does that mean we should be able to get the 2600k to it's max overclock with
something like a NH-D14?
Max overclock, as in the 57x multiplier? Doubtful. With potential subzero problems, I'm not sure if we'll get there with this round of CPUs. Only time will tell as people have more of a chance to play with them.
It looks like no top end improvement per se, just some efficiency and improved value downstream.
If you mean ultimate frequency maximum, that's correct. It's physically impossible to get much north of 6 GHz. But I'd say it's a lot of efficiency, not just some. This new 'mainstream' platform just beat up on an X58-based system. If you want maximum clocks and clocking flexibility and are happy with your current setup, it may be best to wait until X58's successor. If you plan on upgrading and don't use extreme cooling, this is a very tempting replacement.
I hope that was not a cherry picked CPU by Intel.:shock:
I highly doubt it. They sent out dozens (hundreds?) of these all over the world. I wouldn't think it cost-effective to cherry pick every sample. Mine was a later ES as well as it came with the retail D2 stepping.
5 ghz on air? That's amazing! I find it odd that the lower the temp, the lower the OC. What's up with that?
No clue what-so-ever. Several people I trust implicitly in such matters say it's true. Being the stubborn person I am, you'd better believe I'll find out when I get a board for review worthy of going cold, but I don't have any reason to doubt them. :shrug:

Likely depends on how they design the chip.
lot of small transistors and strange new metal gates.

Kinda kicking myself for buying a hex now. This arch. is impressive :attn:

Reading this review made wakeing up a pleasent experience today :D

I guess the hex would be ok for htpc duties :shrug:

Nice review hokie!

Regarding the trend between temperature and overclock: I wonder if this is a result of the silicon design? I'd need to read more into the physics behind semiconductors, but there must be some design factor at play here?

Looks like I'm going Sandy Bridge (probably i7-2600k) instead of the i7-950 I was looking at :)

5 GHz on air?? Yes please!!!

So glad I waited to purchase my new system.

Hokie, this is one of the best reviews I have seen at this site. Tremendous work!!!

As far as the architecture, all I can say is WOW and I suppose this answers the question if this is a sidegrade or to upgrade to Intel's new chip. For most people, it looks like a winner.

Back