• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 clients?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey guys... I'm trying to figure out how to run my CPU and GPU instances at the same time... I searched over at Standford page, but no luck. I know each one has to have their own machine ID, but how do you do that?

I just ran the cpu client in a folder in C/Program Files/FAH (FAH I made myself extracted the downloaded file from stanford either the service or console) and clicked on it to start it. Once it was in the folder.

When I got my ATI GPU. D/L'ed the GPU client put it on the Desktop(In a folder I named FahGPUclient) and started it there.

Also If I haven't already thanked you for your service to our country(Seeing as your in Quantico:beer:) Thank you!

Last edited:
davekusa said:
I run 2 folders. GPU and FAH. Don't forget to change your config files to machine ID=1 and the other one is ID=2.
You can run both as consoles

I run my GPU as ID=3 because sometimes I just want 2 cpu instances.

What exactly are you having a problem with Dave? Is it conflicting with each other or you can't get GPU to work?

for 2 instances you just need to make sure they are in their own separate directories and have a unique machine id for each in the range 1-8 for the cpu client and 1-16 for the gpu client.

This is assuming you aren't running the gui clients ... you can't can't run 2 of them i think ... and i would avoid using them anyway ... they cause problems.

Also, i don't suggest trying to run the gpu as a service although i hear it can be done. The windows cpu client is fine as a service.

I set mine up this way:

• Create directories for each instance, in my case c:\fah\gpu and c:\fah\cpu
  • Put the appropriate console clients in each directory
  • Go into the first directory (CPU if they're alphabetical), right click on the client and choose "send to" and then "desktop--create a shortcut"
  • Right click on the shortcut and choose "properties"
  • Change the target path to include the -local and -configonly flags
  • Run the client from the shortcut to set up that client
  • Set up normally, but make sure to say "yes" to advanced setting (I forgot exactly what it's called) so you can set the machine ID--make sure it's set to 1 (Edit: and don't set it to run as a service. Having that shortcut where you can easily change the flags comes in handy more often than not.)
  • When you finish the setup the client will quit since you've got the -configonly flag set--go into properties again and remove that flag but make sure to leave the -local flag set
  • Go into the second directory (GPU) and set it up the same way making sure to set the MachineID = 2

Then, just double click on each shortcut to start the clients and both should work correctly.

Last edited:
Back