• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I've read through 80+% of this thread, and I must say I learned a LOT. So thanks to Dolk, QuietIce, etc. for explaining everything to everyone! I just regged to join the fun.
I currently run a C3 965 @ 3.8GHz / 1.3875 V in BIOS. However, CPU-Z reports 1.360V idle and a Vdroop to about 1.32 under load. My CPU/NB is at 2600/1.25V and HT is 2200/1.2V. VDDA is at 2.5V. I guess [email protected] and 40 C max should make me happy. However I am of course pushing for 4+GHz, and I do have a couple of questions to help me in getting there:

1. My CPU temp stopped from displaying in HWMonitor and Speedfan today. It does show in BIOS. How do I fix this?
2. What exactly is the use of increasing VDDA? What does it do?
3. Should I turn Nvidia Core Calibration and Unleashing Mode on or off, and what should I set my "Core NVCC Percentage" to if turned on?
4. What's better timings for my RAM: 9/9/9/27/36 or 9/9/9/24/41?

Ooh, and while I'm at it, here's a few pics of my rig. I am rather proud of it.
click

Last edited:
After a lot of tweaking, I got the results I wanted...4.0/4.4 turbo with CnQ, fully stable and nicely setup for a gaming system. The Turbo vid never spikes above 1.54, and actually overall, the voltage does not spike all that much during normal (non stability/benchmark) use.

Thanks again, Dolk, as well as everyone who has contributed to this thread; between the guide and all of the many, many posts in this thread, I've gathered a lot of tips and knowledge on phenom overclocking.

:welcome: Origin64 to the forums!

1) HWTemp and Speed fan do not play nicely with the Thubans. I don't use those programs so I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it.

2) VDDA is the overall voltage that is being given to the CPU and CPU-NB. Don't think of CPUv + CPU-NBv = VDDA, its a bit more complicated than that. For now, you do not need to touch the VDDA.

3) I'm not sure what those are, but I'm guessing you are on an Asus M4N board that has an nvidia chipset. Most likely they are for helping with OCing with the onboard GPU (if it has one). When in doubt keep them at auto.

4) That is a good question. Run MemMaxx and see which one gives you better results and stability.

I don't have a Thuban, I have a 965! But regardless, what program DO you use for temps?

I am now running almost stable at 3.9GHz at 1.45V.I can do anything but run BOINC or P95. I had the same problem at 3.8, and I had to put +.4V on the CPU to fix that. I don't think it's worth pushing for complete stability anymore. As long as I can run games for 8 hours straight I'm happy. ANyway, I'm thinking of going to 1.5V. My temps aren't even near 50 C yet,so it should be possible.
Lot of :comp:to do though, now that I'm over 3.8GHz. It doesn't really seem to like being overclocked...:shrug:

Dolk/Quiet Ice, what would you say a safe CPU voltage max for a 1090t on good water is? For 24/7.

I am running 4.2 @ 1.45v & 1.3v cpu/nb with LLC enabled & my voltage is reaching 1.55v on a stress test.

Max temps 33c.

Other question was core frequency fluctuating, is this a sign of instability As got everything disabled?

Last edited:
Is it possible to use this guide for my AMD II x4 630? I am new to Oc'ing and dont want to destroy my first build.:eh?:

Keep the HT, and CPU-NB the same, and work with the CPU Frequency, and you should be set. Follow the same instructions as was told for non-BE CPUs.

If you click on my signiture, there is an updated guide from the front page.

Just like to say thanks for all the good info and knowledge ive gained from joining this forum. I managed to get my athlon 425 stable at 4.1ghz ,temps are still low at below 40 running prime for 24hrs but im not sure of the max recommended vcore for the chip as obviosly i would like to get a little bit more but dont want to burn it out yet,lol.

Hello, I've read your guide about OC along with some other guides then decided to OC my phenom ii x2 555 which I unlocked first to a x4 b55. My question's is it dangerous for my CPU to reach 67C while running prime95? My CPU's max temp according to AMD is 70C, though I've heard people saying they were operating their phenom II CPU's under 70c+ temperature without any problem for a long time. When I play games the temp drops to 50C-55C. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't run Prime95 to check for stability if my CPU gets that hot. Another thing I wanted to ask, is if there's a way to prevent my Mo/Bo from raising the voltage by itself when running programs that tax my CPU (I manually set the CPU Voltage though it keeps rising in small increments). Are there any ppl out there running their phenom's at a temp higher than 60C? Any help would be most welcome :)

Hello, I've read your guide about OC along with some other guides then decided to OC my phenom ii x2 555 which I unlocked first to a x4 b55. My question's is it dangerous for my CPU to reach 67C while running prime95? My CPU's max temp according to AMD is 70C, though I've heard people saying they were operating their phenom II CPU's under 70c+ temperature without any problem for a long time. When I play games the temp drops to 50C-55C. I'm just wondering if I shouldn't run Prime95 to check for stability if my CPU gets that hot. Another thing I wanted to ask, is if there's a way to prevent my Mo/Bo from raising the voltage by itself when running programs that tax my CPU (I manually set the CPU Voltage though it keeps rising in small increments). Are there any ppl out there running their phenom's at a temp higher than 60C? Any help would be most welcome :)
Disable cool n quite in your bios and that should stop the mobo messing with youre voltage , as for the temp , thats super hot , most people dont like running them hotter than 55 max , get a new cooler and you should be looking at a drop in temps straight away.

@ MrNewbieGuy, Please make sure to put all your hardware information in your signiture so that we can help you out.

Going above 55C is very dangerous for the CPU and can potentially hurt the die, add in the extra voltage fluctuation, and you may lose it. Please make sure to only OC to a max temperature of 55C.

As for the Voltage fluctuations, this is common in most boards. You will see it go up and down, but it should only be in the range of ~+/- 0.05 Volts, if it is above that, you may have a setting in your BIOS that is causing the CPUv to fluctuate more than it should.

hmm im sure im not the first to notice, but you have under Phenom II series: 800 = 4 cores with 4mb l3, i dont think this is correct, as the 840 has no l3 cache? just saying might be worth double checking, would want this place to go all slack like bit-tech did :(

That data was collected a long time ago. I don't remember my source, but I will double check.

hmm im sure im not the first to notice, but you have under Phenom II series: 800 = 4 cores with 4mb l3, i dont think this is correct, as the 840 has no l3 cache? just saying might be worth double checking, would want this place to go all slack like bit-tech did :(

Interesting. The 820 has L3 and the 840 does not.

http://products.amd.com/pages/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

http://products.amd.com/pages/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

Trying to hit 4.5Ghz but reached 1.5v core and get bsod within few minutes of prime95, as you can see in screenshot 4.4Ghz is completly stable and i can run 4.4Ghz on about 1.45vcore , NB is [email protected] just as per table in dolks guide, ht is 1800, still have room temp wise, what should i do to hit 4.5Ghz? is it safe for me to keep those volts 24/7? looking for about 2yr life for cpu after will upgrade anyways.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    131.1 KB · Views: 785
Trying to hit 4.5Ghz but reached 1.5v core and get bsod within few minutes of prime95, as you can see in screenshot 4.4Ghz is completly stable and i can run 4.4Ghz on about 1.45vcore , NB is [email protected] just as per table in dolks guide, ht is 1800, still have room temp wise, what should i do to hit 4.5Ghz? is it safe for me to keep those volts 24/7? looking for about 2yr life for cpu after will upgrade anyways.

This is the exact stats I ran for 4.5ghz. No matter what I did that was the most stable my setup was. This was with a Phenom II 1100T. I spent literally days trying to get it stable at 4.5ghz. Wasnt happy with the high vcore that it took for me to get stable at 4.4ghz so I kicked it down to 4ghz for everyday use.

4.0 GHz is my sweet spot on an 1100T as well. It's plenty fast for 24/7 use and gives the perfect voltage/temperature balance on air cooling. :thup:

Well just recently got a 1090T and haven't been having much luck. I am trying to achieve 4GHz. After about 10 mins of running prime95, my rig shuts down. No BSOD or anything. It just turns off. What could be causing this?

Current settings:
Capture-1.jpg

Back