• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 460 problems please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I recently (last night) up graded my computer with Win 7 64bit, SSD, and a GTX 460 SE 1Gb from XP 32bit, old drives, 8800GTS 640Gb.

I am incredibly happy with the SSD and Win 7, however, when playing COD:BO I am getting around 50-90fps with some random dips to 25fps making the game unplayable.

Prior to the upgrade I was getting around 30-50fps with most everything on high or extra (except AA)

I am wondering if I am expecting too much of the GTX 460? Is there something wrong? Did i make a mistake going with the "SE"?

I recently (last night) up graded my computer with Win 7 64bit, SSD, and a GTX 460 SE 1Gb from XP 32bit, old drives, 8800GTS 640Gb.

I am incredibly happy with the SSD and Win 7, however, when playing COD:BO I am getting around 50-90fps with some random dips to 25fps making the game unplayable.

Prior to the upgrade I was getting around 30-50fps with most everything on high or extra (except AA)

I am wondering if I am expecting too much of the GTX 460? Is there something wrong? Did i make a mistake going with the "SE"?

I don't think you are expecting too much out of the 460. It should be an upgrade from the 8800. I have seen that most people recommend to stay away from the SE's though. What resolution are you playing at?

Current game settings are:

Resolution=1680x1050
AA=8x
Screen Refresh Rate=60 Hz (not sure if that matters)
Sync Every Frame=No
Texture Filtering=Trilinear
Anisotropic=Whole way up
Texture Quality=Extra
Shader warming= yes
Shadows=yes
bullet impacts=Yes (what fun would no be?)
FOV=a little over half way

I just OCed to the 460 specs to see if that helps at all.

Well the overclock managed to give me ~380 points on 3Dmark11 (from 2420 to 2804), COD:BO now runs 75-90fps with random dips to 30-40fps... this seems to happen when an enemy walks around the corner and starts shooting at me and does not look like lag (ping ~35-60). how do I figure out if it is the game or the video card?

Last edited:
I would have gone with the 768MB version over the SE. My 460 will play the game fine at that res, but it does stutter sometimes. Is the Card OC'd? I would try to OC it, and see if that helps at all.

I did OC it to the regular 460 clocks which gave some improvement. I didn't realize until last night that the SE has about 1/3 less CUDA cores.... what is the EGG's return policy? I am seriously considering at 768Mb version.

I did OC it to the regular 460 clocks which gave some improvement. I didn't realize until last night that the SE has about 1/3 less CUDA cores.... what is the EGG's return policy? I am seriously considering at 768Mb version.

you might wanna look into a different card, I had the MSI talon attack 460, easily one of the best if the best 460 cards and it stuttered. I guess the 460 just doesn't like certain systems/games
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx

I reviewed some of the config file "fixes" posted everywhere on the web. Ended up changing the r_multithread from 0 to 1 and r_multigpu from 1 to 0. My average framerate is now 95 but i think that is being held back by the 125 fps cap.

Now I am reading that some people found the stuttering was a audio card problem. I am going to play we that tonight.

I reviewed some of the config file "fixes" posted everywhere on the web. Ended up changing the r_multithread from 0 to 1 and r_multigpu from 1 to 0. My average framerate is now 95 but i think that is being held back by the 125 fps cap.

Now I am reading that some people found the stuttering was a audio card problem. I am going to play we that tonight.

yea I did a ton of research trying to figure out the stutter issues and there was so many variables from drivers to game settings to audio settings that I said F it and just RMA'ed the card

I am using win7 32bit with the MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5, I am also having problems with stuttering in COD BO, as well as a few other games. I have installed the latest drivers from the nvidia website and tweaked the game settings still no solution yet, my old card (EVGA GeForce GTX 280) ran everything fine.

To rule out any of the other hardware changes I popped my 8800GTS back in with the game at the same settings. I noticed about a 30fps drop but no hitching/stuttering. So I am going to RMA the GTX460. That leaves the question what do I get?

I think it'd be best if you save up $250 for a solid mid tier card
prolly wanna go for a 6950 and unlock shaders to 6970 status
if you can find availability for the Gigabyte GTX 560SOC try that. The MSI GTX 560 is great for cooling but you probably won't hit OC numbers you want

well...

Before you go off and take a restocking fee hit for returning the card, you should know that CoD:BO has stuttering problems with a *ton* of different hardware configurations. It's much more of a software issue on the part of Treyarch than it is on the part of nVidia or your video card.

Returning the card and getting a known working card for BO will work, but it's really not nVidia's fault on this one. Treyarch just has really poor hardware support.

As far as I can see you made 2 mistakes:
1. Expecting BO to run on ANY setup. I ran GTX460 SLI @ 850/2000 and it still stuttered like ****. I ran MW2 smooth as SILK 90fps minimum. NEVER dipped. BO goes into the 30's...
2. The SE is a DOWNgrade from a normal 460, it's not better. So you don't get 460 performance...

Back