• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 Terabyte Hard Drive Recommendation please 1TB 1 TB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah you guys are right about Hitachi being better than I thought when compared to others.

But that review doesn't seem to mention Samsung, so I don't know if Hitachi is better than Samsung, was it tested as better than Samsung anywhere?

Unless you are running a server with a raid-10 configuration and a 100 user base that have to access the data from it all day, then i doubt you going to see any significant difference between any of these drives on your home computer. Simply because youll be using it for storage with very little access. So no matter what drive you chose, at the end of the day it will get the job done.

I had great experience with WD over the past 5 years, thus i stick with WD. Plus they are sold at most local retail stores in many flavors.

With Samsung 1TB installed along 500GB Seagates:

1. Sound test (copying large folders within the drives): I clearly hear the rumble of the Seagates vs. the silent Samsung.

2. 1TB does not work with old chipsets like nForce2. Modded BIOS is required.

I just did a comparison selecting every 1TB drive they had on their site...what's this new Hitachi drive that seems to whup up on the Caviar in the Low-Level and Single User tests? The link on the site just says "Coming soon..."

http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&devID_4=354&devID_5=352&devID_6=362&devCnt=7

[EDIT] Nevermind, I just realized that's the server version of the 7K1000.B. Damn, that's nice, but mighty expensive... [/EDIT]

Last edited:
I plan on getting a terabyte, soon as my 400gig drive isn't cutting it. it has 10gigs free space left on it.

When shopping for the 1TB, beware of the 1.5 TB Seagate, sometimes its price gets slashed to make you consider it over 1TB drives but it has been reported to have major problems.

I never even thought about trivial things like sound, it's not like they test for it, but you can really hear how much quieter the 1TB Samsung is.

they came out with new firmware for the 1.5tb that apparently fixed everything so ehhh lol

Well that's interesting, thanks for posting about that, there were some good deals for it, you get the extra half TB for not much more then...

Unless you are running a server with a raid-10 configuration and a 100 user base that have to access the data from it all day, then i doubt you going to see any significant difference between any of these drives on your home computer.

I agree. I picked up that Hitachi 7K1000 1tb drive for $80 on black friday.

When shopping for the 1TB, beware of the 1.5 TB Seagate, sometimes its price gets slashed to make you consider it over 1TB drives but it has been reported to have major problems.

Details on this? I have two 1.5ers coming in the mail today or tomorrow.

Anyways I have a Seagate, WD and Hitachi 1TB drive.

They're all the same. :)

Details on this? I have two 1.5ers coming in the mail today or tomorrow.

Anyways I have a Seagate, WD and Hitachi 1TB drive.

They're all the same. :)

After I got the Samsung, something I never thought of before came up, which is the noise, which is quite a bit louder on my 500GB Seagates then it is on the 1TB Samsung which I can't even hear.

Could you try copying a large folder from within each of your drives to that same drive, and tell us if you hear the difference between the three?

I would most definitely look into and apply the updated firmware for the 1.5TB Seagate. I do not have links but when I was researching to buy, there was a large number of complaints giving the unmistakable impression that something was very wrong with the 1.5 TB Seagate, but if the above poster is right, the new firmware would take care of those issues.

Samsungs are quiet, there is a name for the tech that samsung use, which can be be switched on and off using a util from samsung, but I don't think it makes a pile of diff to performance.

Oh? What kind of tech, I bought my drive OEM, I guess I could download the utilities, what do they do?

I think its called NoiseGuard, the last time I used the samsung HD util it was a DOS affair, its used to switch certain parameters on drives, the last time I used it was to turn on ATA133, on a PATA drive as it was new and shipped in ATA100 mode, something about compatability with older chipsets.

Thank you Wicked Clown for that direct link.

I looked for those but got the annoying registration page.

Back