• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop soundcard next to PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allute

Registered
I've been noticing a spike in the PA system when I hook up my laptop to the mixer. It seems that the laptop produces a hum through the system only when it is plugged into an AC source. I've been thinking that this might be because the PSU is near the sound card, any thoughts?

By the way, I got a free sample from Chromerics... its some kind of mesh, I'm guessing EMI sheilding mesh... could this help to eliminate the interference?

Laptop audio isn't meant for much beyond its own two speakers, mostly incapable of doing 50/60 Hz, so a bit of ripple in the supply doesn't matter to much. Most laptops have outboard supplies, but some conversion is done within the laptop.

I don't think anything beyond an external (PCIMCA/USB/Firewire) soundcard will help. Even a small USB cheap card will be an improvement, I guess.

Back