• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile celeron or Pentium Mobile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Yes my friend ray is looking to buy a new laptop. He is mainly using this for creating small graphics such as logos and such. He is also using this with either Dreamweaver or Golive to make websites. This laptop is not going to be used for any gaming, just basic graphic design, web design, and browsing the net and stuff. Mainly to develop websites for his clients.

Now the Mobile celeron is quite a bit cheaper and for his needs I doubt he needs the extra cache that the Pentium mobile has. Now for some odd reason he thinks he needs a P-M, he also had the idea that the celerons are crap and do not last nearly as long as the P-M, and that they are less stable. Now I keep trying to flush this idea out of his head, while this may have been the case a few years ago I no loger see any of this happing with Celerons any more.

So what should he get, save the money and get a Mobile Celeron or the Pentium, keeping in mind what he uses the laptop for. I suggested to him to get the celeron and upgrade from the 512mb to 1gig since in my limited paint shop use makes more of a difference than the cache size of the CPU.

Thanks! and he will be watching this thread.

Get the P-M if he's gonna be on the go he'll like the extra battery life and number crunching power.

The Celeron M isn't bad because it's just a Banias with Crippled Cache and P4-M style speedstep (Only full speed and power save mode).

I would tell him to go with the P-M if the prices did not differ so much. I forgot to note this but he is very tight on the money!

Now if we were to step away from intel, how are the Sempron 2800 vs a P-M? AFAIK the semprons are the AMD celeron? I have never used a laptop with a AMD processor enough to know.

BTW the main two points are the post are:
1 get to to believe that celerons are not as bad as they used to be* (carved on a stone deep in his brain), and
2 get him the best laptop for web and graphic design for under 800.00

*Now I have build a few Celeron D systems and they have been going strong for a year now so this is where I base my (bad as they used to be), however I have little experence with the Celeron M.

Last edited:
I don't think celeron can be that bad now specially with the Celeron D model whihc has 512K cache. yeah your idea to upgrade for 1 gig is really worthy even in Pentium M. I used centrino but even in that 512Mb is not that much good these days. So tell him get the Celeron D and 1 gig mem and if possible 5400 or 7200 rpm mobile hdd to his sytem so he will not see that much diffrence. :) (all under his budjet if it fits)

The sempron will use more power and produce more heat.

There really isn't anything better than a pentium-m. If you are stuck on cash, I guess you go with what you can afford. But I'd sure scrape every penny I could to get the Pentium-m, you'll never regret it.

Back