• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys, im just wondering do you have any ideas on how to get temperatures down in my laptop?
I have got AS5 on the heatsink(its a celeron northwood 2.8GHz)

I have 4 readouts on Speedfan:
Local Temp : 49c
Remote Temp: 54c
HD0 : 38c
Temp1: 71c

Im guessing the CPU is the 71c...I really want to get this down and i have cleaned the fans perfectly, made a very even spread of AS5 over the CPU and the heatsink is clean.

What else could i do ?

71c is that right? Seems kinda hot to me. Is that idle or under load? Do you have a laptop with fan that's always on?

Just remember those readings aren't always correct... i'd say do a cold boot with the laptop... the temp that goes up highest first will be the CPU...

I bought one at a bazaar for cheap not long ago. I don't have a 17" laptop (15.4" widescreen), but I can't imagine why the one I got wouldn't fit one. It did help quite a bit on cooling mine after upgrading it to include a 2GHz Dothan.

It's basically just a plastic platform with 4 internal USB powered fans that circulates air away from the bottom of the latptop. It is very effective though and I can only imagine that the more expensive aluminum ones would work even better.

Well, i cant change voltages on this processor. I dont know why, Nothing shows the voltage, nor can i change it.
I cant find anyway to do it...

I tried to run that program but it gives me an error about cannot divide by 0 then it closes.

Any other ideas?

Tc3 Toad said:
You could try Centrino Hardware Control. It will tell you your CPU temp and lets you undervolt to make it run cooler. On my notebook I dropped the temps by 10-15c just by undervolding the CPU.

http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

I thought it was a northwood celeron? The program has most features disabled for non centrino laptops.

make sure your fans are working.... at 71c it should be going FULL BLAST. also check for dust blocking up the heatsync.

Ok it doesnt look like Temp1 is working because i just did a cold boot and its still 71c.
Its been running about 4minutes now and its temps are:
Local Temp is : 31c
Remote Temp is: 37c
HD0: 31c

Think remote temp would be the CPU ?

Last edited:
Yes I would say remote temp is the CPU... your initial post said it was 54'C which sounds like a warmish laptop cpu temp... particularly as its a 2.8!

Yea i know it runs hot, thats why i want to get it down so that its quieter and cooler...

Are there any pads or anything that work ?

Back