• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need lil' help w/ installing 9500np

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

This is a Newegg refurb.

During post screen looks fine.

I start booting and there are these marks all over the screen:

| | | | |
| | | | |

Then I tried to run the 3.4 catalyst installation and it won't install.

I get the error:

Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard vga driver before running setup.

When XP boots it finds the new vga adapter and I tell it to install drivers and it doesn't.

Screen is set to 640x480 and 4 bit. Can't change to anything else of course.

When I first put this card in I forgot to hookup the power cord. I booted and got a message that my 9700 ( notice 9700 ) ;) cable or something or other isn't attached.

So have I ended up with a bad modded card from Newegg? Or am I not setting something up right?

Make sure all previous drivers and video card utilities are removed. If you previously used an Nvidia card use one of those progs that remove Nvidia stuff.. check guru3d or majorgeeks.

Hmm.. what I did was just unistall Nvidia drivers from the control panel.

I can barely read the screen. Do you know the name of such a program or have a link?

I got it but it says to remove nvidia drivers from control panel and then run Detonator Destoyer BEFORE I reboot.

I uninstalled and rebooted several times before I got to use Destroyer. :( Gives me errors when I use it now.

Do you think this is really the problem I am having?

If everything is fine posting/in bios and assuming you did everything correctly then i think this is it.
I would reformat for sure, I would have anyway. If it dosent fix it the card must be messed up.

Well I have to much stuff on here to backup and reformat.

I'm making a boot disk to do what is desribed here:

LINK

Hopefully it will do the trick.

No didn't do the trick. :(

When I boot into xp it doesn't say found ati card.

Just says found vga controller and vga something. And it won't install any drivers properly.

You can reinstall windows without reformatting and losing all your stuff in other directories.

ah u no all u had to do was remove drivers and reboot let windows do the pnp thing and it will isntall the starded drivers and then u can install the cats 3.4 thats what happened to me too i just had to restart after i removed the drviers and another thing u should only install the cat 3.4 first then reboot and isntall cp

1-Man-Army said:
ah u no all u had to do was remove drivers and reboot let windows do the pnp thing and it will isntall the starded drivers and then u can install the cats 3.4 thats what happened to me too i just had to restart after i removed the drviers and another thing u should only install the cat 3.4 first then reboot and isntall cp

Windows does the popup thing, but couldn't install the standard drivers. When it says found vga device shouldn't it say found sapphire 9500 instead? It doesn't.

thlnk3r said:
Make sure your AGP port supports AGP 2.0 and higher

I have a A7N8X with 1700+ @ 1944mhz. 8x agp is enabled.

Try a manual CAT3.4 driver install. Start | right click my computer | properties | hardware tab | device manager | Click the plus next to display adapters(is your card listed here, or just a generic named adapter with a yellow question mark?) | right click your Radeon Card and select update driver | select install from list or specific location(advanced) | select "don't search, I will choose the driver to install" | click next | click have disk | click browse | and then find the folder with the CX_080040.inf file and select it(inside 2KXP_INF folder (download and save the ATI CAT 3.4 driver install to your HD, create a folder and extract WINZIP the setup.exe to the new folder) | click next to install

:D

It is a generic named adapter with a yellow question mark.

I don't have that file in my ATI folder that the catalyst 3.4 driver installed.

I have cx_08946 and c2_08946.

Sounds like you might have the wrong driver files then. Are these ATI driver files or something else? What is the file version for the CAT 3.4.exe that you downloaded (4.0.100.1190?)

Back