• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED Circuit from hub for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlucardCasull

I tore apart a huge stackable hub, because I want to use the case as an HTPC. Well the hub has a light bar and switch on the front, see attached picture.

I want to use the status lights from the hub as status lights for my computer, and the "Change hub speed" switch as the power switch.

How can I find if I can power the LED's from the motherboard?
(I have a multimeter)

HTPCledcircuit4.jpg
HTPCledcircuit3.jpg
HTPCledcircuit2.jpg
HTPCledcircuit1.jpg

i would first plug back in the switch and measure the voltage at the legs of the leds so you know what the leds run on. then follow the circuit back past the resistors to measure what the voltage your getting from the ribbon cable.

then measure the voltage coming from the motherboard header.

then take it from there..

edit
if the voltage from your mobo is the same as whats provided from the switch then follow the tracks back to the connector and wire it up. if its the same as what the led runs on by pass the resistor (solder of the top) if the mobo is lower then you will have to make the mobo turn on a transistor and then build yourself something to provide the correct voltage

Back