• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500k @5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lurch9494

Registered
Its been a little while since I have been here, but the great advice I got a while back about O/C'ing my old Q8200 got me bitten by the 'bug', especially when I managed to get a solid 3.5Ghz out of that old quadcore :)

Anyway, I bit the bullet the other day and bought the parts for a major upgrade!

i5 2500k
Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme MoBo
Corsair 750w PSU
EKWB Supreme 360 water cooling kit
Corsair Vengance 2x 4Gb 1600Mhz DDR3
XFX HD6970
Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case
OCZ Agility Sata3 60Gb SSD for OS

The Asus ROG motherboard is amazing, but has features that leave me bewildered to say the least :facepalm:

However, with almost everything on auto, I managed a stable 5Ghz with Vcore at 1.42v Having run a 24hr Prime 95 test, I was happy with this and temps never went above 60c with the EKWB system :thup:

But as a novice, I want to learn more and 'understand' more, the memory being one area that I need help with, also can I maybe get the Vcore down a bit more with some tweeking?

Should I disable the 'turbo' stepping mode? if so how?

5Ghz.png

Any and all advice welcome :)

Cheers

Brian

Well, it runs sweet, but I am a little worried by the Volts, I read the max intel rate the chip at is 1.52v, the Maximus Bios can confuse this a bit. When you enter numbers up to 1.4v the number color stays black, over 1.4 it goes yellow and over 1.58 (I think) it goes red, this suggests I am only just in the 'iffy zone' lol

Whats considered a 'reasionable max voltage' for the i5 ???

I have rolled multi back a notch to 49. I think I may have hit the 'sweet spot' here, the volts @4.9Ghz are down from 1.42 to 1.36 :shock: and because of this the temps have dropped down almost 10c to around 48-52c under Prime95.

I need to do a long Prime 95 test,but at the moment, its a no brainer, very small trade off for much better Vcore/heat margins:thup:

Next up is memory, the board is seeing my Vengance as 1333Mhz not the rated 1600???

Is this a simple thing to change? Basic settings below:

49.png

EDIT: Just increased the Vcore to 1.37, testing again :)

Last edited:
Back