• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding nostalgia- remember when...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember folding in Windows 98SE with my single Pentium Pro processor. By the time I moved up to W2k and had two processors, the machine was too slow to bother with. Then I got an AMD Thoroughbred to over clock and fold with.

...I remember when WU points were still single digit range....
Yeah, before they hit the 'range' and were just just 1 point. I was so smug with my first 100 points.

Wow, lots of memories...

I remember running my first dual proc computer just so I could run two clients at once. That was a MSI K7D Master w/ dual XP1600's (with conductive paint bridging the conductive pins to enable dual use and unlocking the multipliers).

I also had up to 28 motherboards all screwed to a peg board in my basement, all barebones with just a motherboard, proc, vid card and a small 2- 8 gb hdd, and up to three all wired to one power supply just for F@H. My friends all thought I was nuts, but I really enjoyed it all, and my basement was always warm (and loud)...

I also supplied quite a few friends with free pc's as long as they agreed to leave them running 24/7 with the client running in the background.

That was back when you could build a decent rig for under a buck 50. Nowadays you can't even buy a decent motherboard for that.
But I definitely remember when wu's were only worth a point each, and I remember feeling jipped whenever one of my clients would fetch a wu worth half a point.

I believe I originally started folding back in the pentium 2 days, and my first folding rig was a PII 266. :D

Wow, lots of memories...

I remember running my first dual proc computer just so I could run two clients at once. That was a MSI K7D Master w/ dual XP1600's (with conductive paint bridging the conductive pins to enable dual use and unlocking the multipliers).

I also had up to 28 motherboards all screwed to a peg board in my basement, all barebones with just a motherboard, proc, vid card and a small 2- 8 gb hdd, and up to three all wired to one power supply just for F@H. My friends all thought I was nuts, but I really enjoyed it all, and my basement was always warm (and loud)...

:D

Yeah! gotta love those MSI K7D Master boards! At one time I had three MSI K7D Masters and three Asus A7M266-D boards, plus 3 or 4 single processor rigs...all in a 11 x 12 ft, room. :shock: Too many processors to remember, some were MPs, some were modded XPs.

Yeah... those were the years when sales of window defroster repair kits went through the roof :rofl:

I had my dual socket Iwill D800 running full bore and once on a particularly slow day for T32 I was on the top 20 producers list for a couple of updates. Too bad I didn't get that screen shot :(

I miss roasting hot dogs on my Pentium D 805 at 4GHz.

Oh, where oh where are Glasslicker & Ghettocomp, AlabamaCajin ?

Does anyone talk the talk or talk the smack anymore? :D

Hard to believe I use to poke Shellnutt & MrGuverment because I was ahead of them (just barely) :p

The Chimp Challenge was a time we all came together under one name and Folded our hearts out for a week or so. Full Blaze, Damn the Mrs ! we got points to lay down !!!

We have a good crew now, and have good times ahead. We have our own smack to talk
and monkey poo to be flung! Oh where are them Cheesey Poofs ?

Bring it on Spanky !

FIRST one I'm taking out is LowRyder !
and then up the ladder you shall fall.

Fold On ! :salute:

:comp:
WII

.....The latest and greatest client was V2? :eek:

.....WUs that were valued at .6 points/WU and took several hours to crunch on a Tbird at 1.4.

.....If you were doing 100 points/day you were a big time folding GOD!!!!! :D

...the date was Apr 8th, 2012 and I folded my first WU.

...The CC setup wasn't coming along very well due to no one in charge

Okay so I haven't been around long enough to have real memories...

Back