• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 and X58A-UD3R Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaseyJ70

While I've had my 930 for awhile, this is my first attempt at overclocking. I understand the basics but still don't know how to fine tune my setup. To achieve my overclock I basically copied a template and stress tested.

My setup is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel i7 930
Memory: 6GB G.Skill 1600 Mhz, 9-9-9-24
Cooling: Prohalems (push/pull)
GPUs: Two 460s in SLI

I've stress tested using Prime 95 for 6 hours at priority 10 (is this still the correct way to stress test?) with no errors. So now I'm wondering where to go from here? My bios settings are posted below. Please take a look and tell me if they seem right, or what should be changed. My temps are around 62 full load. This doesn't seem too bad?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Advanced frequency settings
CPU Clock Ratio 21X
CPU Frequency 3.80Ghz (181x21)
QPI Clock Ratio x36
QPI Link Speed 6.51Ghz
Uncore Clock Ratio x16
Uncore frequency 2896Mhz

Base Clock Control Enabled
BCLK Frequency 181
XMP Disabled
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 8
Memory Frequency 1448Mhz
PCI Express Frequency Auto
CPU Clock Drive 800mV
PCI Express Clock Drive 900mV
CPU Clock Skew 0
IOH Clock Skew 0

Advanced CPU Core Features
Intel Turbo Boost Tech Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled All
CPU Multi-Threading Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support Enabled
CPU Thermal Monitor Enabled
CPU EIST Function Enabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT Enabled

Advanced Memory Settings
Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) Disabled
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) 8
Memory Frequency 1448Mhz
Performance Enhance Extreme
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) Quick
Profile DDR Voltage 1.5v
Profile QPI Voltage 1.175v
Channel Interleaving 6 Auto
Rank Interleaving 4 Auto

CAS Latency Time 9
tRCD 9
tRP 9
tRAS 24

Advanced Voltage Settings
Load-Line Calibration Level 1
CPU Vcore 1.175v
X Dynamic Vcore (DVID) Auto
QPI/Vtt Voltage 1.295v
CPU PLL 1.88
PCIE Auto
QPI PLL Auto
IOH Core 1.14v
ICH I/O Auto
ICH Core Auto
DRAM Voltage 1.64v
DRAM Termination Auto​

First, welcome to the forums!!

Best thing to start with is to read the guide written by our very own!!

After that, use your template to see what settings you come up with.

The 62 load temp is not bad, you should be able to feel comfortable up to 75C or so. What speed are you trying to reach? Prime95 is good, but I've found that I can consistently run Prime95 for a number of hours (8-12) and stay stable, where Intel Burn Test will cause it to fail in a matter of minutes. If nothing else, IBT will tell you more quickly where you stand from a stability perspective.

Thanks for the info. I've read the thread and this is what I have so far. Just wondering about the specific settings and whether they all look good? Also, I dunno how far I wanna go. Maybe 4.0Ghz? How do my voltages look?

Thanks for the info. I've read the thread and this is what I have so far. Just wondering about the specific settings and whether they all look good? Also, I dunno how far I wanna go. Maybe 4.0Ghz? How do my voltages look?

Good deal man. Try running the intel burn test, let's see how that runs. If you crash, you could probably squeeze a bit more vcore out of it. You may try tweaking the multi down to 20, and see if you can get similar results with a higher bclk (unless you already tried that).

I don't know much about ram timings...

I've got the 930 at 4ghz with HT stable at 1.25v. But considering you have yours supposedly stable at 3.8 with 1.175v you should be able to do less.. Try 1.225vcore at 4ghz (191x21) and see how that goes. If that's perfectly stable, you've got a damn good chip on your hands lol. Especially with HT on. If it is stable, lower the vcore by one notch and re-test/repeat until you find your lowest voltage for 4ghz.

62 for 3.8ghz is a great temp. My temps running IBT hit around 75/76 on the hottest core at the moment. Before I was running 1.3v at 4ghz, then i decided to experiment a bit and drop my vcore.. (I just plugged in 1.3v and see how it went XD) and my temps were 80+ from full stress.

Back