• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVPillman

Registered
I HAD one fan blowing out, and my normal temp was around 40-42, and after playing games for a couple of hours, it went up to 46-47, but I never saw it go higher...

I then installed another fan, blowing in, and my temp. after playing for a few minutes was 52... The power supply was real hot...

I then changed it to blow OUT, but the temp. is still very close to the one with only one fan...

Also, for both cases with two fans, only one fan is shown on "PC Alert III" (the program I use)... but, the fan DOES work... I don't get it.. what's wrong?

This might be a little out there... But I would assume that the extra fan is interfering with smooth airflow in the case...

They are both under the power supply (below the power supply fan)...

The new onw that I added is right under, and the original one that I put in is below it... Should I place a fan on the opposite side? (by the harddrive, floppy drive)

So basically you have three fans on the back of the case. one blowing in, the power supply and another blowing out.

Have them all blow air out. It should help. When you have one pushing and another blowing, it just circulates the air inside the case, not helping much.

MVPillman said:
They are both under the power supply (below the power supply fan)...

The new onw that I added is right under, and the original one that I put in is below it... Should I place a fan on the opposite side? (by the harddrive, floppy drive)

Yes, put it on the opposit side.

What you're doing right now is creating an airflow short circuit. Your exhaust fan i just blowing out the cool air that your intake fan blows in. In turn that mean that the air above your heatsink isn't circulating, it just gets recycled through the heat sink and gets hotter and hotter.

Try putting intake fans in the front and exhaust in the back and see what happens. In general you want intake fans to be as far away from exhaust fans as possible.

Also it would be helpful to know how big a case you have and what sort of places it has for fans. From what you've said, I'm guessing it's bigger than a midATX.

nihili

Back