• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gainward 770 vs EVGA 570 HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamkollaris

Registered
Hi!

Currently in the process of building a new rig (details below), i was going to use my old EVGA GTX 570 2.5Gb HD video card in the new rig, but at the same time i thought it might be worth getting a new card.

I was looking at the Gainward 770 > http://www.techspot.com/review/678-gainward-geforce-gtx-770/

My current card > http://www.evga.com/articles/00596/

My question is, is it worth the upgrade? on paper the 770 is much better, but in the real world what would be the end result? an extra 2FPS or the ability to run games on ultra?

If the card i wanted to get isnt worth it, what would be a good option instead? keep in mind that the ITX build supports ONE PCIE16x card only so SLI is out

New Pc Specs:
- Intel i5 4670k
- 8Gb G.Skill 1600 (May get 16Gb if its cheap)
- 128Gb SSD, 500Gb WD Black x2
- ASUS z97i Plus
- Antec TP-750c (Might get the High Current Gamer edition if i can find it)
- H105i Cooler for CPU
- Stock cooler for GPU
- 230mm intake, 140mm exhaust, 240mm Rad with Corsair fans
- Prodigy ITX Case (White)

Let me know if you need more specs, look forward to hearing your replies

570 is more then sufficient till 1080p resolution. Above that resolution, 770 starts making difference all the way to 4k resolution. And as games gets demanding in future, 770 will be ready for it beforehand. Upgrading is not needed but will be fully worth it in the long run if you do it now. Also try getting an i7 haswell cpu as games have started to take advantage of 8 cores.

It depend on what games you want to play and at what resolution.

A 570 is going to choke on modern games at max resolutions but will still function if you reduce the eyecandy.

A 770 will not even come close to gaming well on a 4K screen. A 770 is a rebranded 680. It is in no way future proofing anything.

Also try getting an i7 haswell cpu as games have started to take advantage of 8 cores.

Which games are these?

Last edited:
Both my Monitor and Tv run 1080p so i wont be running anything higher than that

Wouldnt be much point in building a new Pc if it cant play the latest games on max settings, if the 770 is no good for what im after then what would you recommend? really want to keep within the 300-350$ range

when it comes to games, id rather upgrade the Pc so i can run it at a higher setting than turn the settings down to get good FPS.

570 is more then sufficient till 1080p resolution. Above that resolution, 770 starts making difference all the way to 4k resolution. And as games gets demanding in future, 770 will be ready for it beforehand. Upgrading is not needed but will be fully worth it in the long run if you do it now. Also try getting an i7 haswell cpu as games have started to take advantage of 8 cores.
570 will choke on some modern titles at 1080p... not to mention it only has 1.5GB or vRAM which is a limit at 1080p with the highest settings. Also, as said above a 770 wont play games well at all at 4K resolutions... not enough horsepower and not enough vram/bandwidth (assuming 2GB model).

There are few games that can use 8 cores... an i5 quad is really fine until we see more use of cores.

Anyway, the 770 is way faster than the 570...http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/27.html

Last edited:
Graphics cards are pretty easy. Buy the best you can afford. At the 300-350 price point, you will not be maxing many modern games at acceptable frame rates for long.

Everyone is different though. What is acceptable frames for me may not be for you and vice versa.

Pick a game that you play most (or want to play) and check the benchmarks for that game.

A 770 is in a good spot right now, but if you could stretch it to a 780 it would be worth.

A 290 from the Red team is a good contender as well.

EarthDog - My GTX570 is the EVGA HD 2.5Gb Edition, the link was just as a reference

I might start to look into the 780 series and see what i can afford, the EVGA series 780 cards seem to be a good price for the specs they offer

I have had several bad experiences with ATI/ AMD, so id like to the stick to Nvidia

Last edited by a moderator:
Comparison of 770 vs 570.
It's a bloodbath, absolutely worth doubling your frame rates.

Grab a 4GB variant for anything 1080p and higher.

Back