• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6GB 780 / 3GB780Ti / Titan Black (single GPU)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mostly nice

Registered
Im currently sporting the Asus 3GB GTX 780dcuii OC - it's a great card and deals with a high load very well and very quietly.

However, I'm looking to get a 4k monitor soon and indeed game in 2560x1440 - I will settle for no less than 35+ FPS on Ultra settings. Is this possible on just one GPU? I've built an M ATX rig and without water cooling the GFX cards, it would be somewhat impossible to run an SLI configuration as the cards would be directly on each other. :eh?: I expect this would shorten their life expectancy severely if being use extensively for 5+hours everyday.

Is there a single GPU (excluding the stupidly expensive TitanZ and R295X) which will handle it? I'd like to maintain a decent air flow in my case without having to start gutting it to accommodate a water cooling system for 2x GPUs

Im currently sporting the Asus 3GB GTX 780dcuii OC - it's a great card and deals with a high load very well and very quietly.

However, I'm looking to get a 4k monitor soon and indeed game in 2560x1440 - I will settle for no less than 35+ FPS on Ultra settings. Is this possible on just one GPU? I've built an M ATX rig and without water cooling the GFX cards, it would be somewhat impossible to run an SLI configuration as the cards would be directly on each other. :eh?: I expect this would shorten their life expectancy severely if being use extensively for 5+hours everyday.

Is there a single GPU (excluding the stupidly expensive TitanZ and R295X) which will handle it? I'd like to maintain a decent air flow in my case without having to start gutting it to accommodate a water cooling system for 2x GPUs

Hello again! A single r9 290 or 290x should be able to do that. Remember at higher resolution less anti aliasing is required so less stress on the gpu. With 4gb vram and the 512 bit bus bandwidth to handle them the 290 was built for 4k. For 50 fps or more on 4k you're still talking sli of x fire though.

Also stay away from titan z like the plague. Over priced and outperformed by the r9 295x2. You can buy 2 of those for 1 titan z.

Oh yea that's right. Your in AU. Jeez that's a steep mark up. Also. Tell me. Is a group of kangaroos called a kangacrew?

Yeah so far it's the bet part of the commonwealth - wages are indeed high (minimum wage $18ph or so) but everything costs 3x what it does in the UK and else where sadly.

Joined the site because I've finally got round to building my own rig and looking for bits of advice here and there. Last build i did before this was some 8 years ago!

Yea the pay is nice but the inflation sounds terrible. My first build was about 5 years ago. This is definitely the place else to be for help of anything pc related . Learned a lot from here myself.

I'm a little confused by the OP. You say you will be buying a 4k screen soon but are planning to run at 2560x1440? That is a pretty big difference as 4k resolution is 3840x2160

I'm not fully clued up on the 4k screens but i image they all support 1440 resolution? I very much doubt I could run 3840x2160 on ultra settings through one card? Would I be wasting money getting a 4k screen but gaming at 1440? I operate alot of autodesk software for my day job so the screen real estate would be nice at 3840x2160

I would check how GTX780 3GB performs on that monitor setup and later think to change it if you find it too slow. In most games 3GB should be enough in other you may see like 10% performance drop but most titles will still run no matter what screen resolution.

I'm not fully clued up on the 4k screens but i image they all support 1440 resolution? I very much doubt I could run 3840x2160 on ultra settings through one card? Would I be wasting money getting a 4k screen but gaming at 1440? I operate alot of autodesk software for my day job so the screen real estate would be nice at 3840x2160

They would support it, but most people do not recommend running an LCD/LED at anything but their native resolution as you can have some issues with blurriness. You can always go 4k though, didn't know you were also going to use it for professional reasons as well. Just that when you hame you will want to turn down many settings to be playable.

If you buy a 4k screen and dont want to run it at full res for games then you would want to run it at 1080p, you wont get any of the blurriness of running an off res because its just going to be 4 pixels for each 1, or exactly what a 1080p screen at that res and size would look like.

Similarly, if you have a native 1440p screen, you can do the same thing with 720p.

Back