• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

780 SLI vs 780 TI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I'm looking to put together a new rig soon and am not sure if I should go for 780's in SLI, or a single 780 TI. Either way I'll be water cooling and most likely be getting the classified versions, but I'm open to suggestion.
I'd like to be a pretty good OC on them, and if it's the 780 ti, I'll probably be adding as second one when the 800 series comes out.

Do prices on the previous series generally drop an appreciable amount when the next series is released? And how long after the new series is released can you still find the old series around to purchase?
In other words, would another 780 ti be much less once the 8xx series is out, and how long after the 8xx series is released would the 780 ti still be in stock?

This is most likely going to be running 1080p - maybe 1440p. I know SLI is much better bang for the buck on higher resolutions, but it's still more raw fps at 1080p (usually?), so I don't know what to do :shrug:

What do you guys thing? Could I coast on a 780 ti classy with a good OC until the 900 series is released?

2X 780 SLI is better than a single 780ti just at 2x 770 is alway better than a single 780
At for price, yes, price will drop on the 7xx when the 8xx card come out but not much maybe 8% to 15% but not more than that(GTX 680 still sell for $400 online)

EDIT: don't worry about availability, you can still find new GTX 480, GTX 580 and the rare GTX 590 for sell on most online store.

You may want to think about the 6GB 780 models. They are very close to the 780ti in performance, almost $100 cheaper and still overclockable for more performance yet. Check out this review of them at higher resolutions.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-780-gaming-oc-6-gb-graphics-card-review,1.html
The amount of ram would only matter at higher resolutions though... just wanted to mention that for clarity. Otherwise, it is what it is... several % behind. :thup:

The amount of ram would only matter at higher resolutions though... just wanted to mention that for clarity. Otherwise, it is what it is... several % behind. :thup:

Yeah I settled for 1080p, so for now a 3GB card is plenty. I'm sure by the time I switch to 2K/4K around the 9xx series, those cards will have 4-6GB standard anyway.

Thats very true. I just wonder if the 780ti is $100+ better. Past 60fps, you cant notice a change unless you have a 120hz monitor. I think I could just buy another 680 and SLI for 4k. I havent done the research yet though.

Thats very true. I just wonder if the 780ti is $100+ better. Past 60fps, you cant notice a change unless you have a 120hz monitor. I think I could just buy another 680 and SLI for 4k. I havent done the research yet though.

ok so think of it this way, a graphics card that outputs quality frames above 60 fps isn't in order to have a more fluid experience, it's to allow that good experience to continue beyond current games.
If you have max settings now outputting at 60 fps, the games a couple months down the road will be below 60 fps.
It's a time buffer, so to speak.

Now whether that's worth the extra money, or whether it's best for what you want (single GPU vs SLI/CF, how powerful, etc) is up to you, your budget, and hopefully backed by research :)

ok so think of it this way, a graphics card that outputs quality frames above 60 fps isn't in order to have a more fluid experience, it's to allow that good experience to continue beyond current games.
If you have max settings now outputting at 60 fps, the games a couple months down the road will be below 60 fps.
It's a time buffer, so to speak.

Now whether that's worth the extra money, or whether it's best for what you want (single GPU vs SLI/CF, how powerful, etc) is up to you, your budget, and hopefully backed by research :)

Gotcha. So basically, its future proofing. Not a bad idea I suppose. If I can find a 680 for cheep, then I will SLI. Otherwise, I will just wait until the GTX 8xx series comes out. The 780s should drop a bit by then.

Gotcha. So basically, its future proofing. Not a bad idea I suppose. If I can find a 680 for cheep, then I will SLI. Otherwise, I will just wait until the GTX 8xx series comes out. The 780s should drop a bit by then.

Not in the mythical sense of the phrase, but absolutely so in the practical sense of the phrase. At any given point in time, a more powerful GPU will last longer than a weaker one.
How big of a boost, and how long that will benefit you vs the price is a personal decision.

While 2 680s would have the horsepower, it would not have enough vram for 4k or even 2560x1440. ;)

i'm personally running 2 GTX 670 4G in SLI for a 2560x1600 monitor and they work just fine. crysis 3 runs around 40+ frames a second at maxxed settings. i don't remember if the 680s had a 4G variant or not...

i'm personally running 2 GTX 670 4G in SLI for a 2560x1600 monitor and they work just fine. crysis 3 runs around 40+ frames a second at maxxed settings. i don't remember if the 680s had a 4G variant or not...

Yes, there are 4GB gtx 680 cards.

Why there aren't 4GB gtx 780's, yet there are 4GB 770's is beyond me :shrug:

Lol... The bus .. note 256 and 384? ;)

It's about impossible.

Ah, yes, there's the difference.

What if you need more than 3GB on a higher resolution on a 780/780ti?
How much does a faster bus help you then if you run out of Vram?

Not being a smartass, I really don't know too much on the subject, I thought i'd just play devil's advocate because I'm interested in the answer.

6gb titan is that answer. I don't think they have 6gb 780/780ti, not sure though.

The wider bus shouldn't help when running out of vram as it uses system ram which is a lot slower than Der5.

6gb titan is that answer. I don't think they have 6gb 780/780ti, not sure though.

The wider bus shouldn't help when running out of vram as it uses system ram which is a lot slower than Der5.

Ok so my question is then, what is the benefit of a wider bus?
Moreover, does a wider bus make more Vram less necessary, or are the two independent of each other?

More throughput when needed. For example 4k gaming with AA is bus heavy. Which is why in some titles the 290x is the card to have at 4k... More vram and wider bus.

Think of it like a garden hose and a fire hose. But the bandwidth a fire hose can provide isn't needed until that 4k res.

More throughput when needed. For example 4k gaming with AA is bus heavy. Which is why in some titles the 290x is the card to have at 4k... More vram and wider bus.

Think of it like a garden hose and a fire hose. But the bandwidth a fire hose can provide isn't needed until that 4k res.

Gotcha :thup:

Back