• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Howto break super glue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I want to gel my cathodes to produce more accurate hue's in my lighting scheme. i wanted orange originally, but ended up with a pinky **** yellow hue which sucks... its bright. but ..

this just means that if i tint my cathode shells, it will be nice and bright. there are a few ways i can do it, to simply paint the cathode tube which is acrylic or to gel the lights themselves.

either way, i want the freedom, and these sunbeam cathodes being so cheap, I had to glue them into their housings with super glue so it didnt fall out and risk sending 600 volts running through my tower. the return wire is unsheilded... oh how safe.

so, is there any way to break the bond of super glue? like if i freeze it will it be easily breakable with a little bit of a zank or a twist?
I would like to paint some straws with model paint to adjust their hue and slip those over the tubes directly.

Assuming you're using the cyanoacrylate-based glue, you can use "debonder." Hobby stores will have some of the stuff, and hardware stores might (I haven't looked to see if my local Lowe's has it or not).

Or, of course, you can purchase it online.

Im not going to buy a little jar of anything online <_< thats the pinicle of laziness.
hmmm. i might just paint the acrylic housing instead. will cost $5 for the paints to do both cathodes. and if they come out looking like ***, big woop. they are sunbeam and suck anyway.

If i remember right, the reason that cold cathodes (ie, neons) get their color is becuase of gasses. And if you were to open up the little shell..you would thus release the gasses and most likely you would not have any color (or any light for that matter). The latter I am not quite sure about.

In fact...you could just do as you have said before :) Put some gel sheets around it...or am I way off as to what you are trying to do?

Fold and Frag on
Brian

maybe their glue isnt, but i highly doubt you are going to break super glue by twisting.

Back