• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 840 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz dual-core, only $1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
speed bump said:
If you plan on overclocking another $700 for a prometia. According to BERKUT over at XS linky this thing was maxing out his prometia. 45°c CPU temp on his prommy that should keep it at about 0°c or better.

His condensor was the only thing that was 45C. His prommy was -23C

hey sucka, you know you wanna switch to intel...

no AMD is gonna touch that within a few weeks

haha

[/sarcasm]

that thing looks sweeet... I wonder whats under the heatspreader...

rofl, yeah well two pressies on same waffer = mega heat, it will be a long time before i buy another prescott, they run hot, they are sluggish and genrally not a good design.

And these chips are now 65nm, with no apparent heat reduction techniques from intel, so really wtf r they on over there. 90nm = more heat than 130nm, so theoretically 65nm = more heat then 90nm, even with lowered clocked chips.

Are they trying to build a cpu that will power a city by using its heat to generate electricity, maybe....

1200 buks for a slow cpu? no way, plus it gets walked all over by a A64 X2 thats 40% percent less cash. Also gets worked by a single core A64 in almost every test. Intel has some work to do.

I really want it to for braggin rights, for performance my 650---> 4.0ghz+ is more then enough. I won't be buying another CPU untill Intel resolves issues with AMD smacking them around like a b*tch in some benchmarks.

Phrenetical said:
And these chips are now 65nm, with no apparent heat reduction techniques from intel, so really wtf r they on over there. 90nm = more heat than 130nm, so theoretically 65nm = more heat then 90nm, even with lowered clocked chips.
No they are still 90nm...

Wow although it would be nice, I too would like to see at least 3 things before I would consider it.

1) Lower price even a little bit, (thats a no brainer) maybe sub $1000, $999 is a start.
2) Clock it a bit higher, more cache, something, although it keeps up close to the Opterons it does have issues.
3) Do something about that stinkin' heat problem.

Fix those, and I would be more in the consideration arena.

At least X2 costs a lot more then the Pentium D or it would be really grim for Intel right now. With Pentium D costing almost half of the X2 it’s a tough choice. For now I will probably just shell out for the X2. I want to wait for Intel to find a way to get the heat down before I try their dual core. Wish Intel would hurry and figure something out because a dual core overclocked to 4+ Ghz sounds awful fun to me.

Back