• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does windows xp save a canceled download?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

I was downloading 3dMark again (which takes forever on dial-up :(). Anyway, my mom needed to use the phone and about 20mins of downloading (only 5 megs) were gone like that, or so I thought. When I reconnect and start downloading again from the same site, I saw the 5MB were still in the received part of the download dialog. When it was done, it was moving the whole file from some directory to the desktop (is that where it stored the 5MB?) So, was this all just a fluke, or does XP actually save a failed download?

Thanks

Tipycol

Internet Explorer does save partially downloaded files, but only for a little while. In fact, it will only keep it for as long as you don't download another file and this can be any file, even pictures from a site. This is not a feature of XP but of IE :) Although its not a very good one.

However, it will keep files that have been fully downloaded in its cache until it runs out of cache memory. So if you downloaded something recently, and you accidentaly deleted it, chances are, it will still be in your cache. As for partially downloaded files don't rely on IE. If you're lucky (like you were) it will still have it in the cache, if not, you'll have to start all over again.

Get Freshdownload from FreshDevices. It is a download manager which has no adware or spyware. This should help you download those massive files on dial up :)

lazerin said:
Internet Explorer does save partially downloaded files, but only for a little while. In fact, it will only keep it for as long as you don't download another file and this can be any file, even pictures from a site. This is not a feature of XP but of IE :) Although its not a very good one.

However, it will keep files that have been fully downloaded in its cache until it runs out of cache memory. So if you downloaded something recently, and you accidentaly deleted it, chances are, it will still be in your cache. As for partially downloaded files don't rely on IE. If you're lucky (like you were) it will still have it in the cache, if not, you'll have to start all over again.

Get Freshdownload from FreshDevices. It is a download manager which has no adware or spyware. This should help you download those massive files on dial up :)

Oh ok...so Microsoft did something nice with IE :eek:
I already have DAP, which has the pause/resume option for downloads. It's just that the sites Madonion lists as possible download places do not have direct links to the file, but instead those run around links that say wait 5 secs for the download to start. And when I link them to DAP, it just gets screwed up and either opens a browser or downloads the link :( Does that happen on Freshdownload?

lazerin said:
You can set freshdownload to intercept and downloads that start on IE so that won't happen.

Hmm...maybe I will try that

Thanks for the info

Tipycol

Dig around the IE's temp files, it's possible it's still in there. It's only part of it though so it's useless to you.

Neoplasia said:
Dig around the IE's temp files, it's possible it's still in there. It's only part of it though so it's useless to you.

What are you talking about?

you can use DAP to download 3d mark i did that, normally in such sites when it says "wait for download" there is normally another "click here to download now" or something like that, just right click on that and click "download with DAP"

another thing is that often files are download with different names (my 3dmark was download with a wierd name without any file extension) just make sure the file being download matches the actual file size and after you are done just rename the file to blah blah.exe (or blah blah.zip in case it was a zip) and you fine

there are ways to use DAP you just have to explore a lil, i learned all this coz i myself is on dialup and downloading big files can be pain in butt

one more thing i found out by accident, i guess IE resumes files if they are still in your temp internet files, i was downloading these two mp3s and it resumed both of them

i use to use gozilla for my downloading, but i caint seem to find it anymore, it use too be good for downloading big files on dial up

baqai said:
one more thing i found out by accident, i guess IE resumes files if they are still in your temp internet files, i was downloading these two mp3s and it resumed both of them
That's exactly what I was saying. ;) :p

Back