• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you have more than one PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
one functions as my main computer, the other as the backup/file server for the guys in my apartment, and a folding box :D

The reason I have more than one tower is because it was stupid leaving tons of parts around and in my bar cabinets, so I figured I'd protect the parts, put them in a case, and call it a computer, most of them don't run, though, monitors are big and expensive. :)

I have a my main workstation that I use for work. I son't do anything to it that would comprimise it's stability.

I have my Tualeron @1700 + 9600pro that I use for fiddling with (volt mods, etc) and to play games that won't run on my workstation.

I have my laptop for the road. Mainly word processing, speadsheets, and email so it's just a Celeron-500. Good battery life 'tho.

tom10167 said:
The reason I have more than one tower is because it was stupid leaving tons of parts around and in my bar cabinets, so I figured I'd protect the parts, put them in a case, and call it a computer, most of them don't run, though, monitors are big and expensive. :)

That is what VNC is for;) Then Fold on them:D

Backups. I'm just paranoid about crashes, like the time I lost my partition table and wasn't able to rebuild it correctly, or the day when both computers lost their BIOSes and I had to re-flash them.

And I live within walking distance of Fry's.

Many reasons

I upgrade my cpu and motherboard 2 times a year and the rest once a year. so I end up with about 2 comps a year. Plus anytime I see a good deal I especially on ebay I will buy it.

I have one comp for word processing printing photos. Its the general comp and the one I have incase I blow my other up. On my gaming comp I dont install anything but games and some cd burner software. Then I have multiple bygone comps under 200 mhz that just scare me to boot up.

I used to have 5 desktops over 1.5 ghz but I sold 3 of them. The were just gathering dust and now I am working on my new comp.

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0ghz L1 128 / L2 1MB cache
MSI K8T800 NEO-FIS2R Motherboard
1GB OC Platinum PC 3200
2 X Western Digital 36.7GB 10000 RPM Raptor SATA HDD (raid 0)
Geforce FX 5900 ultra

I have to have a computer where I am the only user allowed to use it.

this means providing a computer to the other 4 in my household

8 computers in my house: my main comp for gaming and whatever I want, my g/f's, my mom's, my little brother's, my baby brother's, my file server, Bomberman (LAN rig), and my g/f's desktop computer.

I have more than one computer because if I didn't, there would be so much argueing that I'd have to jump in front of a train.

Captain Slug said:

I should have broadband soon. At which point all my machines will be folding 24/7 (again).

Woo Hoo!!! We need the powah back! Please come help fold with your multiple rigs everyone!

I have my main rig which is the watercooled OCed AMD, 2 pally xp's on mATX boards in a stack using 1 PSU just for folding. An Athlon 800 Slot A that is going to be the HTPC with it's large cache, and then a 1 Gig Athlon that is for the wife to play games on since she does the sim city type games. I am building a 2.8C P4 rig that will be for gaming/lan that will be aircooled and hope to move the watercooling rig to another case so I can use this one for the P4.

Everything folds. :D

Stupid Boy said:
I could understand having a cheap laptop (or portable PC for LAN parties), a server and a powerful desktop, but I've seen people with multiple desktops. What are the advantages of having multiple desktop PC's other than the ability to have multiple users on at once?

lol you silly boy.

Left over parts moved down from the main computer. We overclockers often need extra computers for testing hardware, and for backup if something goes wrong.

What most people are saying makes sense: Basically, having a bunch of computers is fun, and it's better than selling the leftover parts.

I was just wondering if there was an actual benefit to this under most circumstances.

Stupid Boy said:
I was just wondering if there was an actual benefit to this under most circumstances.

More folding Powa :D

It's better than upgrading machines. Every 3 years we buy a new PC. Upgrades are carried out, but they are mostly limited to extra HDs/more RAM.

So far it's 1 for the wife, 1 for me for a file server/ internet browser, and 1 that will be completed next week or so that will be my main gaming rig.

Rich

Well like everyone says its all about the spare parts. I've got my Laptop, Desktop, File Server, Media Center, Mom's, Dad's, Sister's, Brother's, and Dad's 2 Laptops... its crazy they just added up like weeds.

i have 3 comps my gaming rig, my moms new lappy and a POS dell that i make my friends use if they dont bring there own(and the option of using that generaly makes em bring there own).

I have 7 high end computers (That will play newer muliplayer games fairly decently) and they fold all the time, but their main purpuse is for lan parties. I'm almost always the host of lan parties, so I dont throw away my old systems and they just accumeulate for people to come over and play on. (The fact that I upgrade fairly ofter doesnt hurt the count of computers either)

If I didnt host lan parties, or could stand to sell my old systems I would problably only have 2. (One for me, one for my dad)

Most of the time they are off though, or just downloading something.

EDIT: Also, isnt it fun to have so many computers to tweak and mod? I would get bored fast with only one computer. I like working on computers more than acctually using them.

Back