• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd sound issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Well I got my RMA'ed SR-2, still doesn't post with two X5650s, but that's another story.

On the taskbar (with my two E5620s which unfaillingly boot together always...) I have the sound icon with a red X on it.

There are no outputs listed in the settings but for the HDMI sound outs from the GPUs.

I go look for the Realtek HD audio manager and it's not in the control panel, nor anywhere else. I see it is set to open on startup, but it doesn't and when I fish out the .exe and run it manually nothing happens. Its as if the onboard audio chip is dead Q_Q

I am seriously hoping that there is a software solution to this. Realtek HD Audio doesn't show up in device manager either... sigh.

I'm assuming your installed the appropriate and latest driver for the device?

In the Sound devices list, if you right-click, there should be an option to show disabled/hidden devices. Make sure that is checked.

Yep, installed from Realtek's site, with my mobo's chip listed on the compatibilty list. It's enabled in bios too. And hidden/disabled devices are shown.

Sigh.

ujLjjAE.png

I did find that, although that's not what it was called before. It was called "Realtek HD Audio" in the devmanager before. However, there are two instances of "Nvidia High Definition Audio" (two graphics cards?) that seem to be working in the sound section, so perhaps that's my problem?

Last edited:
Yea I think the two from nvidia show up when you install the graphics drivers from them. You can actually uncheck them during the install. Try cleaning out all the audio drivers you can find w driver sweeper, then reinstalling just the Realtek. I just went through a huge headache of a process w a PC where the nvidia sound drivers were in conflict w the onboard ones and causing bsods.

I had an issue similar to this. Couldnt get any sound off the motherboard at all, and the mic didn't work either. Fixed the sound issue by getting a nice USB DAC, and bought a webcam primarily for the mic haha.

Probably will just end up doing that too.

This is ridiculous, will seriously reconsider buying an EVGA mobo ever again, they can't even check if their RMA's work correctly...

I've definitely heard that EVGA doesn't do the greatest job with their motherboards unlike their graphics cards. I've considered their motherboards before, but always went with Asus as they have never let me down. Depending on what you are looking for in terms of sound stuff, I've been using a Schiit Modi DAC for awhile now and i absolutely love it. I went for that over a soundcard for two reasons. First, it didn't fit in my case anymore, and secondly is because the support has been iffy with some of them, whereas the Modi DAC is just plug and go for the most part.

Back