• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

38 second boot on new SSD gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

Brand new rig, everything on an Evo 840 SSD, one optical drive, but set in bios to boot to SSD first. Only startup items are Realtek & HD audio. I have the latest Bios version (Asus Z97 Pro MB).

Most of the 38 seconds is sitting at the ASUS logo where the bottom says "press delete to enter Bios", once it hits windows, it's ready to go in like 4-5 seconds. I know it shouldn't be taking that long to cold boot, should be <20 seconds.

Any ideas what's going on?
I might just be overlooking some settings tweaks that need to happen in the bios :(

mine takes forever with an SSD dunno why, my ssd caps out sata 6gb/s but from the "welcome screen" to desktop is a good 20 seconds with like 4 things starting up.... any programs i load from it load up instantly, so it doesnt bother me.

you sure its not your motherboard just taking forever to post?

Is the drive connected to the Z79 or ASMedia controller?

You'll have to explain that one :(
It's in a Sata 6GB/s port, but I'm guessing that's not what you were asking.

Hit tab upon boot to see what is taking so long in the post. And also the above. ;)

What does Tab do on boot?

My computer with a HDD boots in about 40 - 50 seconds!

I know! Something is wrong here :-/

Go into BIOS and turn on fast boot?

It's on already.

mine takes forever with an SSD dunno why, my ssd caps out sata 6gb/s but from the "welcome screen" to desktop is a good 20 seconds with like 4 things starting up.... any programs i load from it load up instantly, so it doesnt bother me.

you sure its not your motherboard just taking forever to post?

I know what post is, but not which screen it looks like.
When it's booted, there might be one quick screen (the post?) then the "ASUS - hit delete to enter Bios" screen, which is where it sits for 20-25 seconds, then a quick "American (Micro?)trends" screen, then windows, which is like 5 seconds.

As alluded to with my posting, hitting the tab button immediately upon boot will show what is actually happening in the POST. It gets rid of the ASUS splash screen and shows what is loading. If you see it hanging on something for a while, that is your culprit.

What redduc is asking is if you have the sata ports plugged into the native controller or the other(asmedia) controller) Usually ports 1-6 are native while any more than that are on the other controller (see manual for details).

EDIT: I believe it is the grey ports that are the intel controller... double check me in the manual though. :)

As alluded to with my posting, hitting the tab button immediately upon boot will show what is actually happening in the POST. It gets rid of the ASUS splash screen and shows what is loading. If you see it hanging on something for a while, that is your culprit.

Ah! Didn't know you could do that, I will check that as soon as I get home.

And yes, I have it in the bottom/upper grey slot seen in the picture below (Sata_1 in Bios), but I will double check if that's correct in the manual.

asus-z97-pro-layout-4-645x454.jpg

Edit: The bottom light grey one next to the long Sata Express port.

Try using the SATA ports in the SATA Express section, they'll function the same as the ones you're using (Still the Intel controller), but should be earlier in the initialization order.

is achi on? was it on before?

what happen to the other drive you had? did you do a clean install of windows on the new ssd or was it cloned of your old drive?

is achi on? was it on before?

what happen to the other drive you had? did you do a clean install of windows on the new ssd or was it cloned of your old drive?

Achi is on, always was I believe. I checked the first time I booted to the bios before windows was installed.

The other drive is an optical drive. the SSD is the only storage.
There was no old drive, this is all a brand new build - fresh install of windows 8.1 64bit.

Could there be a delay set in BIOS?

My rig boots up so fast, it's hard to get into the BIOS, so I setup a 3 second delay un bootup... I'm sure Asus has something like that, wonder if that got enabled some how...

Brand new rig, everything on an Evo 840 SSD, one optical drive, but set in bios to boot to SSD first. Only startup items are Realtek & HD audio. I have the latest Bios version (Asus Z97 Pro MB).

Most of the 38 seconds is sitting at the ASUS logo where the bottom says "press delete to enter Bios", once it hits windows, it's ready to go in like 4-5 seconds. I know it shouldn't be taking that long to cold boot, should be <20 seconds.

Any ideas what's going on?
I might just be overlooking some settings tweaks that need to happen in the bios :(

If it takes that long to get from the BIOS logo, then it sounds just like a PATA drive with a wrong jumper setting.

Could there be a delay set in BIOS?

My rig boots up so fast, it's hard to get into the BIOS, so I setup a 3 second delay un bootup... I'm sure Asus has something like that, wonder if that got enabled some how...

Yes indeed, there is a 3 second delay set, and I've kept it up till now. I thought of that, but even without it, it would still be a ~35 second boot, so there's some other issue afoot :-/

Hit tab upon boot to see what is taking so long in the post. And also the above. ;)

Repeatedly pressed it on boot, first time it skipped the post and loaded windows in a few seconds flat.
However, after shut down and reboot multiple times, I cannot seem to repeat the result.

Check to see if your Win 8.1 install was performed in UEFI mode or Legacy mode:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29504-bios-mode-see-if-windows-boot-uefi-legacy-mode.html

It's Legacy - I'm guessing that's the one it's not supposed to be :-/

Your PC cannot 'skip the POST'. It has to run the POST to boot to the OS. Somewhere in your bios, there is also an option to enable/disable that splash screen. If hitting tab isn't allowing you to see the POST in action, disable that splash screen to watch.

That is a splash screen, yes. You should have seen some text... I take it that it did not hang on anything?

Back