• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could you please help with my airflow plan? H50 push/pull, 920, HAF 922

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

replete

Registered
I've spent the last week getting back into the scene, researching latest pc hardware, best OC rigs, etc etc - and finally made an order (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647190). I have done a /lot/ of reading, so my questions below are because I haven't reached a conclusion from my research. I appreciate your input!

My goal is to hit at least 4ghz w/HT, on a i7 920, with a max load temp of 65c without being stupidly loud. I am using a CM HAF 922 case.

Questions:

• I've ordered a couple of Akasa Apache Black super silents for push/pull on the Corsair H50 cooler. (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-057-AK) - Are these good enough? I don't want noisy deltas!
  • Is my goal realistic? I understand all the variables, but I'd be uncomfortable with my i7 running at 75c+ under load. I'd probably limit my 24/7 OC to whatever tops out load temps at 65. Is this logical?
  • I understand airflow is important, could you look at my diagram below and tell me how to improve the flow?

airflow.jpg

I included a blank template JPG too, in case you want to suggest a better airflow diagram! (thanks!)
airflow2.jpg

There are lots of options, again my goal is 4ghz w/HT 24/7, decent safe cpu load-temps, and not too much volume! I'll have a fan controller for fans, so can always turn down anyway..

well, a 140mm will move more air for less noise. so no reason not to put one on the bottom instead of the stock 120...you can't really know how the temps will work and I personally have no experience with the h50, but the general setup looks good in terms of airflow (specially cause i'm a fan of the top-exhaust)

Thanks for the reply, m0r7if3r.

Taking the bottom 120 to a 140 would shift more air in the case, but I'm pretty sure there are specifics about making sure you have the same amount of airflow in and out of your case (positive and negative flow?).

Who is the airflow expert around here? Should my approach in planning the airflow be purely on making sure the in/out CFM matches up? If so, already I have way more coming in than I do exhaust - would this be a bad thing?

shouldn't be an issue, it generates positive pressure in your case (the pressure in the case is higher than outside) which is supposed to prevent the buildup of dust (i think...it might be negative pressure that prevents dust buildup, regardless, its not an issue)

Seems a bit vague! I want to know what the best setup is - is the general consensus that positve airflow (more intake than exhaust) is the best for OC case cooling?

I'm not sure whether it's best to have an intake (for the rad) at the rear, where it is normally an exhaust.

i figure it is...if you had them exhasting it would take the air out, but if you have them blowing in it will replace the hot air with cold air...or that's how i figure at least...

OP: I'd replace the two top fans with higher speed fans to compensate the blowing in from the H50. Possibly two Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1850 RPM. Something with MUCH more airflow but still pretty quiet.

Depending on your GPU source, the 200mm on the side would be good.

Overall you want good solid airflow. Positive or negative, doesn't matter a lot.

Lots of airflow is best. I'd rather have positive case pressure, but balancing for that could costyou a lot of fans.

Back