• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for the Intel Fanboys :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

So I currently have a AMD FX 8120+ (stock 3.1ghz) running at 3.8. I am happy with it, my temps are great as well, I idle around 21c and load around 45c. :)

However..... I have a birthday coming up and I really can't think of anything that I really want besides maybe a Galaxy Note Tab, or a iPad4....

So I was thinking, well maybe I'll come to the dark side and go back to Intel,

If I upgrade to say a Sabertooth and a 3rd Gen i5/i7 will I notice very much difference you think in real world scenarios?

I use Lightroom/Photoshop heavily.... (ssd scratch disks etc) and game a lot...
-TombRaider
-Crysis3
-Guild2

etc etc

Thanks all!

Whatever you do, dont buy the Sabertooth mobo, they are ripoffs for the cost... That said, not sure its worth the upgrade at all really.

It's well known that Sabertooth is a gimmick with that plastic shield.

I don't think you will notice a difference with Intel upgrade.

Definitely get the Galaxy Note. You'll have a lot more fun with that than what amounts to a real world side-grade.

If you play games frequently then the GPU could be upgraded, you will see the biggest difference there on newer games. However the difference isn't that major (depends on resolution and settings as well as the game) so I would hold out on a PC upgrade, and get a tablet like others have said.

Whatever you do, dont buy the Sabertooth mobo, they are ripoffs for the cost... That said, not sure its worth the upgrade at all really.

If you get a really, really good deal on one... :(
And get lucky and not have to deal with a bunch of gimmicks...:(
Awh, damn, I'm not going to try to defend the sabertooth-- It's been good to me but its a rip off haha

Switching platforms won't really do you well.. I'd be more privy on selling the 8120 and getting a 6300 for the same price, and reveling in how much better it is for every-day uses, power consumption, OC'ing, and gaming, and spend your actual birthday money on something cool like a shiny new tablet :D

Let me preface this by saying that I have had many successful overclocks with AMD hardware, going all the way back to the 1GHz Athlon in the early 2000s, and culminating in overclocks of Phenom and FX chips recently. And AMD always was good clock for the buck, but this situation is changing...

I recently did what the OP is asking, and I can say that you will see a major performance increase. I went from an [email protected] to a core i7 [email protected]. According to Passmark on an otherwise identical system the performance increased from 3300 to over 4600!!! In addition to a faster CPU you will get a memory controller that almost doubles the memory throughput, and thus also improves the load time from the HDD/SSD. Graphics scores are also somewhat higher (around 10%), I assume due to the faster memory. Intel chips are more expensive than AMD, but performance overclocking for an AMD 8-core processor requires a motherboard that can handle serious amperage and thus costs accordingly (significantly upwards of $200), and then a cooling system, preferably liquid, and a case that can accommodate all that are required to get rid of all the heat generated by these chips (150W+ for a good overclock). For i5 or i7 you can achieve decent overclocks with less means i.e. cheaper motherboards, possibly air cooling (90W for a decent overclock is way easier to handle). The $285 combo of 3570k and ASRock Extreme4 currently at Newegg or Microcenter plays towards that point.

Back