• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Control (almost) ANY Canon DSLR Camera via Wi-Fi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php

I've known about DSLRcontroller for a LONG long time now. Chainfire is one of the lead developers over at XDA-Developers. But I was always put off by the $7 price tag...

...until he figured out a way to control any recent Canon DSLR from your smartphone or tablet... WIRELESSLY. (Whether your camera HAS built-in wifi or not.

The TL-MR3040 is something I had no idea existed... a PORTABLE wi-fi router powered by a battery and compatible with OpenWRT.

No sooner did I see the link above than I made my purchases and I'm pleased to announce it works PHENOMENALLY well.

Interesting, There is also https://github.com/felis/PTP_2.0 which is PTP library for the aurduino. Its capable of the file transfer calls aswell. So in theory you should be able to stack a usb host sheild onto an arduino, and a wifi sheild, Then both control and transfer your images wirelessly without the need for a 500$ wifi adapter for your camera body.

Interesting, There is also https://github.com/felis/PTP_2.0 which is PTP library for the aurduino. Its capable of the file transfer calls aswell. So in theory you should be able to stack a usb host sheild onto an arduino, and a wifi sheild, Then both control and transfer your images wirelessly without the need for a 500$ wifi adapter for your camera body.

You can already do that with DSLR controller alone. It does EVERYTHING.

The big differance with what I posted is that its not camera specific, it will work for anything that is compatible with PTP.

Sure... if someone builds another app for it.

So far they haven't.

It's just like Magic Lantern... you could essentially do that for any camera platform... a few people have tried... but no one else has been successful.

Magic Latern is actually a replacement for Camera firmware. Which is a little more complex. Cause it has to be written for specific models and revisions of camera equipment.

PTP is a universal library that was designed for camera communication through software. If the camera is capable of communicating with the PTP protocol which most DSLR's and Point to shoots are these days. You can use the PTP protocol to communicate with it. Its just a matter of getting the last little bit of info for camera specific calls. Like canons camera specific calls for special functionality. Most Image Editors make these same calls when you connect to a camera to down load pictures from a camera or do tethered shooting.

So anyone can write a front end fairly easily for PTP communication.

If your really interested in doing strange stuff with tethered or remote camera actions there are a ton of additional documentation out there around PTP.

Magic Latern is actually a replacement for Camera firmware. Which is a little more complex. Cause it has to be written for specific models and revisions of camera equipment.

PTP is a universal library that was designed for camera communication through software. If the camera is capable of communicating with the PTP protocol which most DSLR's and Point to shoots are these days. You can use the PTP protocol to communicate with it. Its just a matter of getting the last little bit of info for camera specific calls. Like canons camera specific calls for special functionality. Most Image Editors make these same calls when you connect to a camera to down load pictures from a camera or do tethered shooting.

So anyone can write a front end fairly easily for PTP communication.

If your really interested in doing strange stuff with tethered or remote camera actions there are a ton of additional documentation out there around PTP.

Oh I know... I've read it...

...I just can't understand any of it. :)

That said I ordered a KK2.1.5 board that I could install arduino onto and then control anything from a transmitter, receiver pair. (I at LEAST understood the part about installing arduino on a kk2.1.5 controller...)

I was going to created some sort of motorized follow-focus... but then discovered that both dslrcontroller and magic lantern handle follow and rack focusing (A/B) just fine without any additional hardware. So now I'm thinking it would be cool to make an automated zoom... but I might just build a quadrocopter instead. We'll see what the budget is looking like in June.

Back