• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASrock Z87M OC Formula and benching on cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I finally found some time to check 4670K on cold but ASRock Z87M OCF is acting weird and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or it's normal.
I'm running it on SS, temps about -45*C so nothing special but when board starts then I usually see 00 error on the display. Usually when I turn off the board 2-3 times then it's booting normally but when I click reset button then it back to 00.
I was checking LN2 jumper and generally everything on board ( there is not much ).
Latest BIOS from ASRock site.
Has anyone had similar problem on Z87 or Z87M boards ?

Just in case you missed it you should be able to enable LN2 mode in the bios at least you can on the z77 OCF but i never needed it on dice

It's even working for last hour so I'm not sure if it's something like cold bug or something else.
This new 4670K is also average on SS. 5.3GHz is passing Spi32M without issues but 5.4GHz is barely booting.

Edit:
I said that too soon, it just started again :p
and I can't find LN2 option in BIOS

Last edited:
LN2 switch is on the board should be right next to the debug led

Attachments

• Z87M OC Formula(m).jpg
    Z87M OC Formula(m).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 273
That is strange. I have never had any board act up with ss. i use it almost like water cooling for testing, since it is just as easy to set up and swap around. Though I am sure I haven't run anywhere near as many boards as you have...

LN2 switch is on the board should be right next to the debug led

I know it's on the board but as I said I already checked it and it's not helping. In BIOS there is no option ( or I can't find it ).

I made couple of tests but nothing special. Now switched to some other system but during 3DM05 I have 101 blue screens ...

Tomorrow I should get 4770K from RMA, replaced to new one as I saw on the website.

Sorry miss understood you since they move the LN2 switch to the board they most likely remove that option from the bios

I still have no idea why there are often 00 errors. On other CPU when was 00 then CPU was dead so I think it's simply locking CPU or something like that due to temps or voltage.
This board has optimized auto voltage settings for OC so it's generally easier to overclock than most other boards but maybe something isn't working like it should.

Worse is that I can't make memory run at more than ~3350. It's almost always booting at 3300 and is quite stable but above that there are issues - usually error 25 or it tries to boot and resets settings. When I set something higher like 3700+ then I see code 23 so that's possible as it's IMC error. Anything ~3400-3600 is weird as memory that I'm using is better than Team Xtreem which passed 3820 clock and still can't run above 3400 ...

3200 12-16-15 = stable
3300 13-16-16 = benchable
3400+ 14-31-31-45 = no boot at all <- these settings are good for 4000+

Maybe today I will try some more or just swap to Gigabyte as it back from RMA and is even working.

Edit:
I've checked this guide -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1405879/asrock-z87-oc-formula-thread-bios-tools-tips , but I can't find anything that I didn't try.

Last edited:
Hope you get it worked out. You might want to check out this thread for some tips on that board.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...7-OC-Formula-(M)-Thread&highlight=asrock+z787

Quick Tips
-Air cooling 32m overclocking profile is niiiice.
-Mem profiles are made with normal purchased memory kits not golden samples.
-Conformal on the big board imo is best to be used as a second defense. Eraser is the insulation of choice on that one.
-When overclocking memory if you hang on 00 or if the last code you see is 03, something is set too tight for the frequency you are using.
-Tighter timings are not always faster, play with them one at a time. I could tell you which ones matter but thats half the fun!
-Boot bclk and eventual bclk can take some ease off of training at high speed. This can also allow your RTL and I0-L to sometimes be pulled in tighter when set on auto.
-The same with hynix and BBSE, some kits dont like to train with high volts. If you are max mhz'ing hynix you can use 2.0vdimm boot and 2.3vdimm eventual etc.
-The 3000mhz memory divider at 100bclk is not useable, so use 2933 and bclk or 125 strap.
-When using 125 bclk strap, around 145 bclk you will loose stability and its advisable to switch to 167 strap at that point.

Thanks but this is exactly the same as I already linked :) ... the same Splave thread just on 2 different forums ;)

I think I will find some time today to check it.

Anyway this board is overclocking memory much better than Gigabyte Z87X-OC. Or at least it's easier to set high clock/tight timings using Samsung / Hynix BFR/CFR or stable 3000+ using MFR.
Some examples:
- Samsung ECC 1600 11-11-11 sticks couldn't pass 2133 clock on Gigabyte ( no boot at all using manual settings or profiles ) while on ASRock I'm able to run them @2600 10-12-12 ~1.75V or 2400 9-11-11 ~1.7V
- G.Skill ARES 2133 ( Hynix CFR ) couldn't run stable above 2600 on Gigabyte while on ASRock is running up to 2800+ 11-14-13 in HyperPi ( maybe higher, I didn't really check 3000+ )
- Team Xtreem 2666 C11 and Kingston HyperX 2800 C12 ( both MFR ) were passing HPi32M up to 3000-3050 on GB board , on ASRock both could reach 3200
All my PSC, BBSE and Hypers are running really bad on both boards ;)
Since my new Avexir kit is running better than Team Xtreem ( that I already sold ) then I count to beat ~3820 memory clock ... if I solve some issues ..

Sorry didn't bother to check your link.:)

I just ordered an OC Formula today, figured its time to try Haswell out.

I got 4770K from RMA couple of days ago and I already sold it. I will try if I can make any better memory clock on Gigabyte board which also back from RMA, if not then I will sell it too. I simply have enough of haswell and their really low chance on any good overclocking chip. I mean overclocking good on cold. I was testing 7-8 haswells , 4670/4770K and all of them had a wall at about 5.1-5.3GHz on SS/Dice. In this case my old 3770K is better for nearly every benchmark using the same cooling.
The only good side is memory overclocking but I also see that new chips may have weaker memory controllers. I was able to set higher memory clock on X79/4930K than on last 2 4670/4770K.

Should be released in next 2-3 months. Z97 boards will be available in 1 month ( and won't change anything ) with some lower chips. K series refresh will be some weeks later. I have no idea if they will be better or not.

Had a chance to fire the OC Formula up last night. Running on ln2 but taking it slow since I have no experience with Haswell and didn't want to kill first time out.

image_id_1136370.jpg

Nice one. You always have chips that can make high clocks at low voltage ( at least all that I saw ). To make my best 4770K run at 5.4GHz I had to set 1.75V+. Some others couldn't even boot at 5.3GHz 1.7V+.

Back