• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Going copper(using copper pipes inplace of tubes)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Really wondering how many times you had to redo that crazy sharp bend going into your CPU block. I'm very surprised you went with it at all considering how much copper hates bending past 90 degrees.

Unless of course that is actually a 90 degree bend and the picture just makes it look like more.

Yeah. It's just the angle of the pic. No bends went past 90.
The bend that gave me the most trouble was the one going from GPU back to res. You can't really tell in the pic, but that is a weird angle and cost me about 20' of tubing.:bang head
It's a good thing I'm persistent and calm because stuff just about started getting airborne.:p

Yeah. It's just the angle of the pic. No bends went past 90.
The bend that gave me the most trouble was the one going from GPU back to res. You can't really tell in the pic, but that is a weird angle and cost me about 20' of tubing.:bang head
It's a good thing I'm persistent and calm because stuff just about started getting airborne.:p

I'm surprised the CPU to the Rad wasn't the bigger pain with 4 bends.

Thanks Armani.
It seems to be affected more by the ambient temp than silicon.
I usually keep the room at +/- 21c. At that temp it idles and loads +/- 3c from the standard tubing, but if the ambient temps rises the copper pipe, since it is a conductor rather than an insulator, seems to absorb that outside heat and transfers it to the water.
Bottom line is, if you live in an area where it gets hot and do not have AC you need to take that into consideration as you temps will rise more during hot days than it will with silicon tube...

Another D5 may be in order. I was eyeballing the CaseLabs SM8 too...
I'm on frozen cpu right now looking at more connecty doos.... :)

Just out of curiosity, how insanely difficult will hardware swaps become at this point? Do you need to bleed the lines and detach everything for a seemingly simple GPU upgrade? Or if you end up having to RMA the motherboard or something. I have loved the look of copper pipe watercooling for a while, and your build looks great. I'm just curious how much of an extra PITA this makes actually having to work on your PC.

WOW, that looks great. I have been wanting to do the same thing. Thank you for all the tips, and keep up the excellent work

That is seriously one of the coolest things I've seen in the computer world, not joking.

Only thing, I REALLY recommend you add an anti corrosive to that liquid if you haven't. Galvanic corrosion can wreck havoc on things over time. If its a nonconductive liquid, youre all set.

Never have done water cooling, but yeah used to do a lot of pipe bending like that for Pneumatic systems on assembly line applications.

Looks nice, used to do some copper pipe bending myself on some things that looked like artwork, if they are polished and done right it looks impressive.

Just out of curiosity, how insanely difficult will hardware swaps become at this point? Do you need to bleed the lines and detach everything for a seemingly simple GPU upgrade? Or if you end up having to RMA the motherboard or something. I have loved the look of copper pipe watercooling for a while, and your build looks great. I'm just curious how much of an extra PITA this makes actually having to work on your PC.

to solve that I would put short pieces of tube in-line with the copper for just that reason (to be able to bend)

say an inch or so...yes I would have to buy extra connectors, but it would solve this problem

Back