• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hiya Folks!

Rather than wait a few days for some help moving the cascade, decided to take another benching side trip. Am pretty excited (which is why I felt the need to post hehe)...this is the fastest sub-ambient setup I've ever benched and my first quad-sli experience. I'll be going after 2D and 3D. 3D will be with 1-4 cards so this could take me a while.

Hardware:
- Asus MVE
- 2600k (under ss phase)
- 4x gtx580's (under water with the big mora rad)
- ram: not sure which sticks I'll end up using...probably start with the 2400 or 2666 tridentx (unless you have any other suggestions)

Hoping/thinking I should pull some decent boints along the way. Will use this thread for posting some results and asking questions as things come up...I've definitely still got TONS to learn about overclocking (yay!).

Here's some pics of the setup. Will leak test for another hour or so then start getting set up. If I don't have time tonight, will start working on the cpu tomorrow night.

tia for everyone's on-going guidance!

Attachments

• rive-2600k.jpg
    rive-2600k.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 138
  • quad580-side.jpg
    quad580-side.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 139
  • quad580-top.jpg
    quad580-top.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Looks good, make sure to do some 01 action with the 01 tweaks :)

Oh and I think you mean MIVE, as RIVE is 2011 :p

Very nice setup :D

Post some scores and screenies will ya?
Thanks and will do ivanlabrie! Hopefully some good ones but I'm sure some not so good ones where I ask for help, as well ;)

Looks good, make sure to do some 01 action with the 01 tweaks :)

Oh and I think you mean MIVE, as RIVE is 2011 :p
Thanks Janus. Yep...arghhh! Good catch. I was all excited hehe Can someone change the title to show mive instead of rive (sorry about that)?

Pretty epic fail tonight on 2 fronts :(
1) Forgot all about a quad-sli bridge. Will order one tomorrow.
2) Can't seem to post...the monitor doesn't come on. Keep getting an A2 (ide detect) and the boot_dev_led is lit. I seem to recall having this issue before and it definitely wasn't related to the drive. Tried different drives, tried different sata ports, tried with only 1 vga card, tried with a different, single vga card, tried different ram, tried a single stick, swapped psus. :bang head Any ideas?

Last edited:
Man, that's an awesome setup. You'll get a STUPID amount of team points!

What power are you supplying them hungry bad boys? 4 of them will suck some juice

Just FYI

SLI (2x) draws ~700w stock and ~850w once overclocked so u would guess 4 will draw a huge amount of powahhhhh

F2998F61-3259-4DA9-ADDC-99AA833CB064-2745-00000253B66A225C_zps4f963b07.jpg

If pic is crapola I apologise, it's copied and pasted using my phone

Last edited:
Hey fusoul you probably did it already-did you clear cmos pull battery and all power cables and wait 5-10 minutes and did you try the second bios

The board looks to be a Asus MVE z77 the MIVE= z68

EDit: is that a fresh OS install to that motherboard i ask because I use the same drive for my Asrock and Asus board and usually have no problem but the last time i did the Asus board did not like it and it wouldn't shut down or reset properly and only one pci-e slot worked untel
i did a fresh install

Last edited:
I heard once properly oced under water you need dual 1600w psus for 4 580s.

I could imagine that under sub-zero, but not ambient, as a single card can push (pull?) some serious wattage 700-800+W under LN2 when you are adding a lot of voltage

Morning folks!
Thanks for all the responses. Ordered a 4-way sli bridge...should be here early next week. Now need to figure out what's keeping me from posting (and/or the display not turning on).

I remembered the 'fix' for the A2, boot_dev led issue....it was that the 4-pin supplemental power lead wasn't fully seated in the connector. I double and triple checked all power connectors last night so, unfortunately, that's not the issue this time :/

Had the board running fine last week with the 2700k. Working today (not from home, unfortunately) so can't try stuff atm but would certainly like to build a list of things to try when I get home tonight.

Man, that's an awesome setup. You'll get a STUPID amount of team points!
Thanks ATMINSIDE. Yeah...am sure it'll get at least a few points but need to get the darn thing working first :/

What power are you supplying them hungry bad boys? 4 of them will suck some juice

I heard once properly oced under water you need dual 1600w psus for 4 580s.
Running a nice 1500watter...hoping that's sufficient but, if not, couldn't I just put 2 or 3 of the cards on a different psu (jumpering it so it supplies power to the cards)?

Hey fusoul you probably did it already-did you clear cmos pull battery and all power cables and wait 5-10 minutes and did you try the second bios

The board looks to be a Asus MVE z77 the MIVE= z68

EDit: is that a fresh OS install to that motherboard i ask because I use the same drive for my Asrock and Asus board and usually have no problem but the last time i did the Asus board did not like it and it wouldn't shut down or reset properly and only one pci-e slot worked untel
i did a fresh install
Hiya QuickFast! Yes...to confirm...pulled battery and removed all cables for about 5 minutes (also repeatedly tried resetting cmos via the button on the back of the board). Also tried both bioses. :(

Also...yes...I can be a bit of a dolt...you're right...it's an MVE (I've also been farting around with a rive...no excuse but..). Can someone kindly change the subject for me yet again?

OS install? I can't even get to the post screen never mind the actual bios :( From a drive perspective, have tried a brand spanking new/clean drive, a used but known good formatted drive, an ssd with win7x64 that I used with the 2700k, as well as a pair of regular sata drives with win7x64 and vistax86 (that I also used last week with the 2700k).

Sorry not quite sure which CPU your looking to use with the Quad 580's, just check in the bios as to what GEN its set at!! You could set it yourself to GEN 2 then that would match the GPU'S and the CPU depending which you are going to use my friend.

It could also help in getting the Quad fire up and running, just some tips i picked up looking around Web Sites, regards,

AJ.

Greets Ajay! Hmmmm....not entirely following you (still early). Am using a 2600k. Ran the same board last week with a 2700k (and 2 of the 580's).

Also...I am not able to get into the bios (yet). I switch on the psu, press the power button, mobo starts up and goes through it's power up checks, it gets to the point where the kbd and mouse power off/on, hits the code where the screen usually comes to life (62), hits 99 then starts running through more tests (that's unusual)...gets to the A2 code then just sits there. No post screen, not able to access the bios.

Hoping that getting the vga cards working is much more straightforward.

Gotta get the screen to go on and be able to access the bios before I can do anything else.

When i was looking to SLI my GTX 690'S which is the same as your Quad set up, it was said that the PCI-E GEN is set to Gen 2 as the SB CPU and those Gpu's are a older Gen.

That way they match up in the Bios and maybe not cause to many issues to get them up and running. As for early Days yes will have to wait till you get things up and running and its going to take some time to do it.

Well Good Luck i will look in to see how your getting on, it will be great to see it all working.

AJ.

Just pull the drive from MVE and rebooted and it stop on A3- A2 stops on on the screen to get in the Bios did you try to hit F1 when its sitting on A2 to load the defaults setting(since you reset the cmos) and see if it continues I know you dont have any out put from your gpu but if it continues to and stop on A0 you know it made it to windows just to rule out your drives and ram and figure out why your board isn't seeing your gpu's and did you try a single gpu in a different pci-e slot?

well I am off to get some dry ice now hope you get it up and running

Thanks QuickFast. Didn't try hitting F1 at the A2 error, will try that tonight (among other things to try). Will see if I can get it to A0 (or, iirc, AE).

Updated thread title for you ;)

Any luck with just 3 cards? Tried playing with turning the different slots on/off with the dip switches?

Thanks Janus67. Didn't try with 3 cards but did use the dip switch to try with different slots on/off.

Y'know...been thinking about the 4-pin aux power issue that resolved the A2, boot_dev led problem the last time. Am using a different psu than last week so that gives me 2 more things to try. Will try the same (1000watt) psu I used last week again...it should be fine since I can only run 2 vga cards in sli atm. With the 1200watt psu, it doesn't have an actual 4-pin connector....it makes me use an adaptor that goes from an 8-pin female (which connects to one of the 8-pin males coming off the psu) to two 4-pin males. I've got another adapter that goes from 8-pin female to a single 4-pin male....I'll try using that adapter instead of the one I've got on there now.

The only other differences between last week and now is that I'm using the 6-pin pci-e power connector on the mobo (manual says to use that when using 4 cards in sli). I'll unplug that for now.

Think I'll try this course of action (to be edited throughout the day based on input from the folks here plus anything else I can think of):
- disconnect all power cabling
- remove all 580's
- remove ram
- remove battery for a while, clear cmos
- connect a speaker so I can check for beep codes
- add the known working gtx570 (with stock air cooler), ensure it's fully seated
- add 1 stick of tridentx 2400, make sure it's fully seated
- connect power cables, make sure everything's fully seated/connected, use the 8-pin to single 4-pin adapter (instead of the 8-pin to twin 4-pin adapter)
- reload bios from usb (just to make sure there's no bios corruption)
- cross fingers
- power up and see if it works
- if not, try using the same psu I used last week

Sounds like a good solid plan i will keep my fingers crossed here too!!

AJ.

Not getting the 4 pin adapter? are you using the 8 pin and 4 pin together you are talking about the ATX 12v socket's you should only need the 8 pin and don't forget about the Integrated Graphics you can see if you got video signal form there if the 570 don't work out

Good luck

Back