• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks QuickFast!

Frustrating last night...tried everything I could think of and still no luck. The board gets to A0 and/or AE so it looks like it actually is booting but no matter which pci-e slot and/or graphic cards I tried, still can't get the monitor to come on. Thinking perhaps the bios is defaulting to the integrated video but since the cpu doesn't have integrated graphics (and the mobo doesn't have on-board video), there's no way I can see to get into the bios to change that setting.

Does anyone know how to force the bios to look to the pci-e instead of integrated video?

Am honestly thinking of pulling everything apart, checking the socket for any possibly bent pins, removing the eraser and just rma the thing (it's still brand new).

Hmmm...as an aside...what's the best way to remove the eraser marks from the pcb?

Have a feeling that I'm putting this setup on hold for now. Hopefully will get some buddies over this weekend to help me get the cascade into the basement and will start going after 775's.

Ah well...to be continued I guess.

So...if anyone knows how I can force the board to look to the pci-e and/or how to remove the eraser marks it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks!

You never mentioned anything about DVI/HDMI cable or your monitor. I had one frustrating time with a monitor that has to have the input changed while the monitor is on which ???? Either way I had been using a DVI on it and when I switched to HDMI I had nothing. Eventually figured out that I had to use the dvi, change input through the monitors on screen interface and then switch cables. Swap cables if you can.
Anything I've read about Qcodes, if you reach A0 you should be in the OS. I was having an issue just like this with the Asrock Z87 Killer and had to use the backup bios to get the thing started. Wish I could be more help.

Hi Johan45! Tested the monitor on another computer so the dvi cable and monitor are fine. :(

Since when doesn't the 2600k have Integrated Graphics?and yeah I would break it down and look at the socket I don't think it matters if Integrated Graphics is on, The board should still see the GPU and display video from what ever device your plugged into but it probably a couple bent pins that need to be straitened out and you'll be up and running again in no time

Don't make me go over there and drag that cascade down for you get that thing up and running all ready I want to see what that thing can do:D

That's a bummer, looks friggin monsterous if you could get it pumping. I'm sure you've tried different drives/cables/ports as well.

Yeah...unfortunately...all of the above :( Very bummed atm (think I'm almost done pouting, though hehe). We're heading out to dinner tonight and going to see a pretty killer Led Zeppelin cover band so going to relax, enjoy and blow down a few beverages.

Ya I'm sure you need a break from the frustration. Zepplin rocks have fun and no blowing out those bevvys, that's not cool.

QuickFast- oops...my bad...it does indeed. Will take it all apart, check pins, find a heatsink and plug it into the tv this weekend to see if I can see anything and get into the bios. Thinking I may have a bent pin or 2 but hoping not.

Dude...if you want to come up to help me move the thing, that'd be awesome! hehehe Frickin' crazy heavy.

Johan45- I'll get it working eventually. Definitely bummer, though. Wanted to get through the 580's, then beat up some 775's for while then tackle the quad-460's and (soon to be) tri-7970's. Clearly I've got more hardware than I can bench atm. :/

No shett dude. You've got more stuff than the computer store in Tillsonburg does. I'm pretty certain of that.

Try installing a single low to mid level card and see what it does.

Did you buy this mobo from me?

Hi MetalRacer

Tried a whole bunch of cards last night...from ancient to modern...still nada. Bought it new on-line which is why, even though it worked last week, am thinking of trying to rma it. Just need to figure out how to get the eraser marks off the pcb.

You might also try switching to the other BIOS chip.

Also a tooth brush works pretty good for removing eraser remnants.

Tomorrow will break down the setup, check the pins, find some kind of heatsink, connect it to a tv (only things we've got with hdmi in) and give it 1 more try before getting in touch with asus.

MetalRacer- Yeah...tried both bioses, also re-flashed them both and tried them again that way, too. Nada :(

I can get all the eraser off pretty nicely (thanks for the toothbrush tip!) but it still leaves a residue on the pcb. Wondering what's the best way to get rid of that residue.

Friday night update:

WOOHOOO!!!! Got it! Had a couple bent pins (a little eraser squooshed into the socket). They straightened right up once I got the eraser out. Put the board on the bench, put in a stick and vga card, held a heatsink down on the top of the cpu, powered up and ta-daaaa!!! Hoping to have time this weekend to re-eraser around the socket, get up and running with 2 cards (4 if the bridge shows up tomorrow) and set up fresh drives with xp, vista32 and 7x64.

:clap: glad you got it working before you headed out with family\friends one less thing on your mind and hope you had a good time:attn: Zeppelin Rocks

Getting it working before heading out had a huge, ecstatic impact on the evening for me! Btw...the band (Black Dog) played really well last night. Blasting.

So...first step is to figure out which of my 1155's is fastest. The 2700k runs at just over 5.5GHz so that's the one to beat. Have 2 2600k's to work. One's known speedy (~5.7GHz) the other is unknown...no idea which is which. Am also almost certain I've got a 2500k...need to look around for it :/

Will get everything setup, use the same vistax86 drive I used last week (forget reformatting, etc atm) and try to quickly find max and max stable for the 1st 2600k. Then shut the ss down for about an hour, swap in the other 2600k and repeat until I find the fastest 1155. Then it'll be onward to 2D benching and, eventually, 3D.

Let's see how far I can get today (incl. finding any other 1155's I've got around here somewhere).

SO psyched!

Awsome funsoul, so great when things actually work out.

Morning Johan45! Off to run errands and knock out some honeydo's then re-eraser around the socket (1155 is a pita when it comes to that...too much space around the cpu) and fire stuff up...keeping my fingers crossed!

Back