• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to Upgrade from SLI GTX275s. Ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I am thinking two GTX660s. Gigabyte has some for $179 each. My limit is in the $350 range, so I think that is as good as I am going to get for the price. I plan to overclock them. The cards dont need to be one of the latest modes. I would be fine with cards from the 500 or 400 series too, and I dont mind buying referb or B stock.. Are the 660s a worthwhile upgrade over the 275s?

Oh, and the cards dont need to be NVidia. I would be fine with ATI cards.

Last edited:
yea but 2x 660's is not as good as a single 770. I'd get a 760 and then in a few more months get another 760 to sli.

Are you sure? A Google search shows two 660s are quite more powerful than a single 770. PassMark shows the 770 is only 25% faster than the 660, and two SLI cards generally produce over 50% the performance of one card.

Anyway, I went with the 660s and I am happy. From two GTX 275s overclocked in SLI I went from 59.5 FPS average to 170.7 with my two 660s in Heaven Benchmark, and I havent even overclocked the 660s yet! Tessellation looks really nice too. Too bad more games dont support it.

Two GTX 660s in SLI are pretty much identical to a GTX 770 as far as performance is concerned. In 3DMark firestrike extreme the two stock 660s score about 4200 and 770 scores about 4000. FPS wise in most games we're talking about on average a few FPS. Assuming the same price I'd go for a GTX 770, that way when you want a little more oomph it's easy to add a second 770 for far more performance than a third 660. You also avoid the oddness you'll see in the occasional game due to SLI. Of course, lower power consumption with the one card if you're into saving a tree or two.

If a GTX660 SLI setup is faster than a GTX770 it certainly isn't by much. That plus how having a single 770 provides you the option of going 770 SLI in the future which would be far more powerful than a 660 SLI setup.

For 1080, there is no need to purchase NEW midrange cards (that are a generation old already). Grab a single 770 and call it a day.

Back