• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

g550- spi locks up the system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

With a couple days left until vacation (and 2011 mobo not back from rma and still waiting for the beastly 4770k) decided to give a g550 a shot. Not a lot of boints there but so far it's doing pretty well on the 2D's (7 gold cups, 1 silver). All those were running at 26x107.9 with hyperx2000 ram (also tried the evo2's but the system refuses to post with those sticks). Unable to post at 2300 (tried 2300 pi's as well as 2400 tridentx, no go) so am at just over 2000MHz.

For some reason, spi is crushing/freezing my system. Am following the LBB. Tried boosting the cpu voltage a bit (to 1.5v). Tried reducing bclk all the way down to 107.2 (tried everything from 107.9 downward). Also tried loosening the ram timings (as far as 9-9-9-24) as well as increasing the ram voltage (to 1.8v). Also tried setting the priority to high instead of realtime but spi32 STILL locks up the system (freeze occurs anywhere from the start of the 1st pass to the start of the 5th pass). Bclk changes did nothing that I can see. :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks EarthDog

If I've got to lower bclk further it would mean 1 point/sub or less (and maybe a bronze cup). Hoping, thinking and wondering if there's some other problem? If not...I may just move on to pcm5 and call it a day.

Howdy Mandrake4565!

Stock settings???? What're those? ;P Ran stock for the 1st boot only.

Thanks EarthDog

If I've got to lower bclk further it would mean 1 point/sub or less (and maybe a bronze cup). Hoping, thinking and wondering if there's some other problem? If not...I may just move on to pcm5 and call it a day.
It stands to reason that if lowering it more works, than it was bclk or the memory. Though you mentioned you loosened timings, did you lower the actual memory speed to remove the memory out of the equation totally?

Ha ha I hear ya, I just figured I sometimes when were frustrated trying to get a bench to run we forget the simplest solution to see if the OC is even the issue.

It stands to reason that if lowering it more works, than it was bclk or the memory. Though you mentioned you loosened timings, did you lower the actual memory speed to remove the memory out of the equation totally?

Ha ha I hear ya, I just figured I sometimes when were frustrated trying to get a bench to run we forget the simplest solution to see if the OC is even the issue.

Tonight will first try 107.3 and lower ram speed. If that works, increase bclk until just before system freeze. Am thinking ram is the issue as I had np running wp1024 at 26x107.9 @ 2000MHz (will also check if I can get p95 to pass about 5 runs at that speed). That'll take the cpu out of the equation. Next will try lowering bclk a bit...if I can't get at least 3rd place will skip spi and move on to pcm5.

I had to lower bclk by nearly 1MHz on i3 4330 to make it pass spi32 or it was freezing. Try higher voltages or lower temps, it's sometimes helping.

Thanks Woomack...will add voltage! Temps seem fine...~ -23C under load.

What is your board? Mvg has some bclk skews that helped me get a bit more from my CPUs. Adjust them to the - to get improvement.
I got a celeron g470 that I am hoping to try asap. Should be good for xtu at least.

Back