• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My GTX 295 is having problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Has it ever given any problems after post? Like a black screen? Or you hear everything load but there is no video? That happend to my first 295, the dual pcb one.. I got a brand new one from xfx in return for my junk one. It was a great card when it worked tho..

Edit: oh yeah if it can't run am it done.

Yeah. Card is almost history. AM is an easy bench.

Crud. Glad I didn't pay a whole lot for this card, when I bought it back in the late December/early January time frame.

Has it ever given any problems after post? Like a black screen? Or you hear everything load but there is no video? That happened to my first 295, the dual pcb one.. I got a brand new one from xfx in return for my junk one. It was a great card when it worked tho..

Edit: oh yeah if it can't run am it done.

Nope, never any problems with POSTing. Never heard loading without video. When the screen goes black power consumption drops from 120-150W down to 60-70W, and there is a noticeable change in the tone of the system, like I can tell from the sound that it is getting less power.

I've been trying to contact the seller to find out where to go next, but they haven't been on in roughly two weeks now. Would like to get a refund if this thing is dead (or dying), been that way since day one, EVGA surely wouldn't take an RMA on something this old as there's no way it's under warranty and it's definitely not registered to me.

Last edited:
The buyer might get an RMA if it had a lifetime warrenty

Holy cow, you're right. This model does have a lifetime warranty. I didn't even consider it, because I thought it would be a standard 2-3 year warranty.

Guess I'll have to call up EVGA to see if the warranty is still good.

Holy cow, you're right. This model does have a lifetime warranty. I didn't even consider it, because I thought it would be a standard 2-3 year warranty.

Guess I'll have to call up EVGA to see if the warranty is still good.

If they do, and they can't physically repair tha card... Big congrats :)

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

I managed to contact the original owner and they agreed to help me out in trying to get an RMA. Card was registered, so the warranty is still good.

If the card if failing and your outside the warranty period, you can always "toast" the card as a last attempt to bring life to it.

Simple... remove the heat sink, fans, back plate, etc [everything that can be removed without damaging the card], place it in an oven for 12mins at 200c. Make sure you use a plastic tray or some baking paper so the card doesn't make contact with the metal cooking surface.

Let the card cool, put it back together and try it out.

9 times out of 10, this wont hurt the card at all since most parts are rated to over 120c, and the card will never reach 200c in the time it been "toasted".

Ive done this to many cards before and have gotten a few more months out of them before they fail again, just remember that even if this bush mechanic fix does work. It wont restore the card to its former glory. and even if the card does work it may still have issues when under load. But if you have no warranty then you have nothing to lose.

The RMA request was approved, and I sent back the defective card last week. Already been received by EVGA.

They decided to replace it with a new unit.

Now just waiting on the replacement unit to arrive. Should be here sometime next week.

If the card if failing and your outside the warranty period, you can always "toast" the card as a last attempt to bring life to it.

Simple... remove the heat sink, fans, back plate, etc [everything that can be removed without damaging the card], place it in an oven for 12mins at 200c. Make sure you use a plastic tray or some baking paper so the card doesn't make contact with the metal cooking surface.

Let the card cool, put it back together and try it out.

9 times out of 10, this wont hurt the card at all since most parts are rated to over 120c, and the card will never reach 200c in the time it been "toasted".

Ive done this to many cards before and have gotten a few more months out of them before they fail again, just remember that even if this bush mechanic fix does work. It wont restore the card to its former glory. and even if the card does work it may still have issues when under load. But if you have no warranty then you have nothing to lose.

Yeah, I've done solder reflows on a lot of video cards and motherboards via both the heat gun and oven methods. Just brought a GTX 570 back to life last week actually.

Last edited:
Well, apparently Evga didn't have any GTX 295's on hand for replacement.

So, I got upgraded to a GTX 660 Ti. :)

DSCN3099.JPG

DSCN3100.JPG

Last edited:
Glad I was able to help.

Thanks, really appreciate it.

Now I just need to find time to test it.

Haven't had a chance to test it since it came in, was busy most of the day yesterday and didn't get time to hook it up.

Back