• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

They must suck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really don't see his problem with AMD okay so no benchies of anysort but they make great solutions for people on a budget.

this is very true, I recently grabbed a 3600 brisbane, biostar 7025 and 2gb of corsair ram for $200 new for a build i did for someone. This system is awesome at everything aside from gaming.

For office use and music/movies multimedia and web surfing browsing you dont need more than that.

The system is so snappy I am infact selling most of my high end hardware since I dont game anymore and my gaming rig mysteriously turned into a HTPC anyway since gaming is pretty bleak right now.

I think the perspective of the website/community is more concerned with performance than price. Just my opinion, and if you can agree with that, then it's pretty obvious that AMD is falling behind in a bad way. And I think this raises an interesting point, but I'm far from convinced that K10 has no potential.

I agree. This does not bode well. :-/ I'll be hanging on to my Opty 170 for a while longer...

I'm more concerned with the tactics AMD is using these days to hoodwink people into thinking that they can be serious competitors in the cpu industry. They used to be and those were great days but those days are gone.

Ed really nailed the exact thing I was thinking about this. "Sweet, they have a 3GHz Uber CPU with 3x Video cards and all we get is a picture of the system".
They could have at least told us that it plays Crysis at 2048x1600 on max with 200 FPS...

Second and Third Ed's opinion. AMD just isn't making any sense anymore witrh their decisions. Hell, they barely did when they had a killer product.

I truly hope I'm wrong on this one, but we're way past "fool me once... fool me twice..." here.

Thanks for the Opteron 170, I hope you're finally up to snuff next go around.

BlackZit said:
Let's not forget what Intel did to everyone with the P4.....that was embarassing.

Difference is P4 didn't crutch the fate of an entire company. I didn't quite feel personally embarassed watching the P4 hit the streets. This is just awful to watch a company make so many mistakes. In the end competition is good for the consumer, so if AMD can't stop playing the bumbling idiot, it's going to hurt us more than them.

Rattle said:
this is very true, I recently grabbed a 3600 brisbane, biostar 7025 and 2gb of corsair ram for $200 new for a build i did for someone. This system is awesome at everything aside from gaming.

For office use and music/movies multimedia and web surfing browsing you dont need more than that.

The system is so snappy I am infact selling most of my high end hardware since I dont game anymore and my gaming rig mysteriously turned into a HTPC anyway since gaming is pretty bleak right now.

And really that is AMD's problem, they are being forced to offer these crazy low prices because they have nothing that can compete with Intel from a pure performance standpoint.

Yes buying low end AMD chips still makes a lot of sense for someone on a budget, but if AMD is taking a loss on those chips it doesn't help them much.

The only way AMD can stop this price war is by producing a chip that will outperform Intel across the whole line like they did with K8.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure they can do it again.

Actually.... their decision just might make sense. If they release the benchmarks -- and they are on about current c2d oc'ed levels, then all hell will break loose at the Intel's side, and penryn might fly out the door as Intel will pushes itself further to crush AMD now.

ShadowPho said:
Actually.... their decision just might make sense. If they release the benchmarks -- and they are on about current c2d oc'ed levels, then all hell will break loose at the Intel's side, and penryn might fly out the door as Intel will pushes itself further to crush AMD now.

Well,I think both companies have a pretty good idea what the other one is doing most of the time.Espionage is just too big of a tool to just leave in the box.

Matter of fact.... I've been waiting, watching and reading for the next major change. I'm gearing up for a new build. I would prefer to go with AMD for the simple reason that AMD gave us good chips that we all could talk about and prove it with benchmarks.

If Intel indeed has taken over completely then I guess I will never use a computer again......lol

I think the lesson here is there is no brand loyalty, nor should there be. Whoever makes the best product deserves to reap the rewards. In my opinion preferring one CPU brand over the other is like preferring one brand of tissue over another....whats the point? They both do what needs to be done within the confines of X86 so it hardly matters which one is used. What matters is which runs fastest...that would be Intel at the moment, but I could care less if the chips were made by McDonalds as long as they work.

i dont know ... its too hard to say, however, intel is crushing the living doodie out of AMD right now .... even Nvidia is killing the crap out of ATI and look at that amd didnt bring out a decent competitor to blow away the 8800 series.

if AMD dosent bring anything to either blow away intel or slightly curve ahead of them ... i see them going bankrupt pretty quick

Back