• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Keep 'Em Spinning: How To Lubricate PC Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Sleeve bearings fans have a well-deserved reputation of wearing out quickly. But they're inexpensive, and not necessarily cheaply made. They can perform very well indeed. We want to use them on our heatsinks, but we worry that they will fail and leave our CPU's overheating. Wouldn't you like to be able to use a sleeve bearing fan and not have to worry? Read on.

If you peel back the label and pop the cap of sleeve bearing fans you will find many have lubrication wells that are dry as the proverbial bone. In other words, no matter how well-designed the fan, if it is assembled without enough oi... ... Return to article to continue reading.

o_O Sweet, thanks for the info. I just bought a Haf-x case and ive noticed one of the large fans makes noise when i turn on the machine now, tho it does go away after about 5-10 minuets. Perhaps this is what it needs.

Only question is, if you didnt know what the fan was at purchase (the type) how can you tell by looking at it?

Great tip! :thup:

Air tool oil works good as well. I've been doing this for years myself. A lot of the fans I use are pulled from used/surplus systems (old servers have great high pressure fans) and they can be pretty noisy without some freshening up. I have five surplus Panaflo fans that I bought back in the late 90's that still work like champs! :D

I lubed all my fans when I received my new case, I had the h70 which was being replaced but I wanted to use the fans and one of them was making a slight squeaking sound so I gave it 3 drops of 3 in 1 oil and did that to the other 3 120mm fans as well as 7 140mm fans that haven't even been used it, I have no doubt it makes a brand new quiet fan even quieter and you don't have to worry about fans locking up on you especially fans that aren't visible.

I'm surprised you can't find Singer machine oil in a fabric shop or department store. I found mine at Wal-Mart. But you can use any oil oil.

A penetrant is like WD-40 -- designed to penetrate stuck stuff and loosen rust or other gunk that keeps bolts from turning, etc.

great tip....i'll have to bring home my air tool oil and oil up the yate loons i got. been using them for some time now so they are probably due for some oil.

What do you do if you can't get the sticker off the fan. Is there a recommended sticker removal method?

I have used a razor blade on tough cases. But then I have a box of single sided razor blades.

Sometimes a heat gun will help; but a plastic label will shrink when heat is applied.

Make sure you have a sleeve bearing or ball bearing fan. No sense in destroying a label only to find you can't get into the lubricant well.

Make sure you have a sleeve bearing or ball bearing fan. No sense in destroying a label only to find you can't get into the lubricant well.

Think i ask before, but how can you tell (i dont have one in front so dono if it just says on the label, or if their is an obvious distinction.)

Is mineral oil an acceptable oil? It's all I have without shopping for additional oils..
I want to re-lube the fans on my GTX 580 DCUII (ASUS). Anyone familiar knows there are 3 holes on the non-sticker part of the fan. Are those fill holes? Or do I have to take it apart and get to the back of the fans?

You could write to the manufacturer/seller of your video card and ask about the fan -- does it have a sleeve bearing or what?

As for mineral oil, there is a Wikipedia page. I've not tried it myself, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

OTOH, you could always wait until you have some oil. On the gripping hand, I know that OCFers hate to wait. I know I do.

Back