• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which SATA Controller for 2x 30GB Vertex RAID0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

Got a new GA-890GPA-UD3H on the way as to replace the server and planning on sticking a pair of 30GB Vertex SSDs in RAID0 for the OS ..

Would I get better performance from plugging the both drives into the 6Gb/s ports run by the AMD SB850 or the 2x 3Gb/s Ports connected to a GIGABYTE SATA2 chip (as much info as I know) ..

Also .. With whichever chipset set to RAID0, I take it AHCI mode can't be enabled at the same time..

Cheers guys!! :beer:

Personally I would stick with the AMD controller, but that may not be the best choice (I've been using it on a Giga 890FXA for months with good luck). When RAID is enabled in the bios AHCI is as well, you can't have RAID on these boards without AHCI also.

I use the SATS III ports. I also have the same MB.

Could you post up what drives your using for storage on the SATAIII ports n maybe run some benchmarks? ATTO/HDTune? Would be appreciated to gauge performance .. I'm no doubt gunner try both sets of ports, secure erase each time n bench both ..

Does anything know the specs or any perfotce info on the SATA Controller Gigabyte use on their boards?

I use HDDs not SSDs but here are some numbers:

Raid 0
cryatalmark.png

Raid 1
46863524.png

Using the SATA II ports will limit you slightly even if your drives are SATA II. SATA II on SATA III ports also gets a slight performance edge:

BUS.jpg

So using SSDs will only br better. I suggest using the SATA III ports.

Yeeeh cool, thanks for that mate! .. Now I just hope the BIOS will allow me to just set 2 of the 6Gb/s ports to RAID0 and hopefully AHCI while leaving the others operating normally.. Otherwise I'll have to stick my DVD-RW n Blu-Ray drive on the GByte controller cause they go scatty when run in AHCI for some reason

I have? Hold on.

A raid 0, a raid 1 and my optical drive and a single on the SATA III controller. You eill set up the raid it will not do it on its own. You will be prompted about which drives are to be included in the raid and you can set up more than one.

I believe these were done on a Sata 2 SB750 controller (2X 30GB Vertex), should be in the ballpark.

Attachments

• Atto Vertex 30GB x2 Raid0.jpg
    Atto Vertex 30GB x2 Raid0.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 99
  • ASSSD Vertex 30GB x2 Raid0.jpg
    ASSSD Vertex 30GB x2 Raid0.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 115
  • HDTune Pro Vertex 30GB x2 Raid0.jpg
    HDTune Pro Vertex 30GB x2 Raid0.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 95
Back