• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iPhone: Dead pixel or what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

A few weeks back I saw a speck on my screen; putting a fingerprint over that spot revealed it was under the glass. However, the dot caused a shadow below it. I brought it to Apple, they said it was Dust. The 'dust' is perfectly square and inline. Apple doesn't cover dust in their warranty. I decided to live with it.
Today another mote appeared, not like the first, not square, and casts a shadow further away from itself than the first dot, suggesting they are at different elevations. I don't know what to do, this dot is way more noticeable. I might go back to Apple and complain.

Went to the 'genius bar' at the local apple store, they said (again) that it was dust or something, so I had them ship it to apple to clean (or possible replace (their words)) the screen. Someone else there had the newly reported problem of an area on the touchscreen that went dead. And no, I didn't spring for the $30 loanerphone. :)

CGR said:
You should ask them how dust got under the glass in the first place.
Ya, its got to be a hard thing to do. And knowing the infamous Ipod battery change charge that apple has, I don't think it would be cheap to send it back for "cleaning".

Well, I had apple send the iphone back for 'cleaning' last friday. I got a BRAND NEW one int he mail yesterday! HOWEVER... this one has a legitimate dead pixel!! ARRGGGHH Back to the moron bar at apple today...

nightelph said:
Well, I had apple send the iphone back for 'cleaning' last friday. I got a BRAND NEW one int he mail yesterday! HOWEVER... this one has a legitimate dead pixel!! ARRGGGHH Back to the moron bar at apple today...
ROFL. Remember, Iphones WILL blend :)

Just got back, new one in th mail on monday most likely. What do you mean by 'blend'?

Got my iphone back today, no dead pixel this time. FedEx called me today saying they had a package for me with an invalid address. Apparently the iPeople at the apple store put my zip code in wrong, so I ended up driving to fedex to pick it up. The ser-no is the same, so I think they just replaced the screen instead of giving me a whole new unit this time. They're probably selling it as a refurb now. Freakin' Macintrash.

you know you could buy some other phone that has all the same features for a lot less?

and if you remove the i then it is just a phone

Yes, this phone is totally overpriced, and I would probably get a RAZR 2 if I did get a different phone. But to be fair, other phones don't have the same features. They don't have the giant touch screen and slick interface, or even 8gb of space (I'm sure you could get microSD cards for your phone). Its also a pda and you have the internet everywhere. Is this phone for everyone? NO. Do I find it worth the cost? Do I use ALL the features regularly? Yes. Hey, don't buy one. I'm loving mine.

Back