• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LGA 1366 board for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh..but im an ati guy...i cant crossfire with it can i? also i was looking for something less than $250....ive never had any experience with core i7..starting my learning from scratch, so i want a board thats easy to understand, yet powerful in overclocking once i learn the ropes again...like my maximus formula x38...

i7 boards do both crossfire & SLi :cool:

The board in my sig is not bad at all to oc with. The bios is easy to navigate and is not as complex as the EVGA/Asus boards.

I didn't have the $400+ to toss down on the more popular boards and the MSI I got in a deal with a fellow member. So far I've been extremely satisfied with it. No issues whatsoever and has been running my chip @ 4.0Ghz since day 1 when I got it.

There are more affordable boards that can be had for less than $250. Gigabyte is one of them.

gigabye ud4p and ud5 ( depending on your budget) will be ideal for overclocking, and they dont cost too much, ( i think the ud4p MIGHT not support xfire...check)
most 1366 boards can push most i7's to 4.0ghz prety easy
and if you are going to keep your nh-u12p cooling you wont be able to overclock much past 4.0 anyway

A good cpu has alot to do with a decent oc on these boards more than the mb itself.
It's kind of what you're willing to put into tinkering with bios settings on the mb.

A good cpu has alot to do with a decent oc on these boards more than the mb itself.
It's kind of what you're willing to put into tinkering with bios settings on the mb.

Yes indeed! One small setting change can make the difference between be able to run 4.0 stable and not. You need to be willing to spend the time in bios!

what is the best core i7 board for overclocking?

Wow you may as well ask what's better? Ford or Chevrolet? Toyota or Nissan LOL.

I use ASUS exclusively from years of trusting them. When I ran the computer stores, we bought thousands of boards from lots of makers. Asus ALWAYS had the lowest RMA rate.

That being said, it's been several years since I had those stores and I know darn well that a lot could have changed. But when I build systems these days, still I always get the Asus brand. My choice.

I use both Asus and Gigabyte MB's as my preference. Both brands offer lower, medium and higher end versions to fit your budget.

I like ASUS better than the other choices, I can't put my finger on why exactly, but it just feels nicer, recovers from bad oc's the smoothest etc. (And yes I've tried em all) eVGA will get you the biggest clocks though.

How skilled the hand using the board will also come into play.

The Evga Classified is a great board, sure has a lot of setting to play with though.

The Asus RE2 and Giga UD5 are great clocking easy to use boards, that you can't go wrong with.

Also, if you're using air, they will all do about the same anyhow.

I'd say anything from these companies. MSI, ASUS, EVGA and Gigabyte. They all make some great mobos.

I'd get something you can do SLI or Crossfire.

Asus RIIE, Foxconn Bloodrage. Both very nice boards to overclock with, both will push my 950 past 4.6GHz. Both have good, easy to understand BIOS and both recover from a bad overclock instantly.

what is the best core i7 board for overclocking?

To put it simply, they are all rather good. Your CPU will be more of a limiting factor in your overclock before any of the motherboards becomes an issue. Personally, I like the offerings from Gigabyte, ASUS, and EVGA.

Back