• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming mouse? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've worn out 2 MX518's. Both performed admirably thru their lifetimes.
Now I'm using the G9 which also performs admirably, and has additional features that I find helpful (the ability to change the mouse speed by touching a control on the mouse instead of using game software).

The MX518 is certainly prettier, but when I'm using the mouse I cannot see it......

At this point all I have to do is read the manual. :D

The "Q" button does all this stuff that I have no idea...

I also have no idea how picking up ammo works and I don't know what the Sniper's radio beacon does.

Basically I don't know ANYTHING about the game besides shooting people.

The 'Q' button allows you to point out things, ask for ammo or health, or spot enemies (including enemy vehicles). If you hold down Q it gives you a radial-menu that you move your mouse in the direction of the one you want and I believe just release Q and whatever was highlighted is said by your soldier.

You pick up ammo by standing next to an ammo box. Grenades reload a lot slower than other types of ammo.

Sniper's radio beacon is a mobile spawn point for you and your squad. If you spawn on it yourself it destroys itself (meaning you need to place another one). Your squadmates can continue to spawn on it and you get points for it (10 a piece I do believe)

Quick tips - do the objectives (attack/defend points depending on your gametype, work with your teammates). I recommend starting as either support or assault as you will be able to get points just by giving ammo/health/reviving teammates.

The 'Q' button allows you to point out things, ask for ammo or health, or spot enemies (including enemy vehicles). If you hold down Q it gives you a radial-menu that you move your mouse in the direction of the one you want and I believe just release Q and whatever was highlighted is said by your soldier.

You pick up ammo by standing next to an ammo box. Grenades reload a lot slower than other types of ammo.

Sniper's radio beacon is a mobile spawn point for you and your squad. If you spawn on it yourself it destroys itself (meaning you need to place another one). Your squadmates can continue to spawn on it and you get points for it (10 a piece I do believe)

Quick tips - do the objectives (attack/defend points depending on your gametype, work with your teammates). I recommend starting as either support or assault as you will be able to get points just by giving ammo/health/reviving teammates.

Thanks man!

I gotta say... the PDF manual they give you for the download version of the game leaves much to be desired...

+1 for the MX518 even though you already got your mouse.

No clue how long I've had it and it's performed extremely well.

+1 for the MX518 even though you already got your mouse.

No clue how long I've had it and it's performed extremely well.

Shame the MX518 crowd showed up so late! :p

It would've been a pain in the *** finding one here anyway.

I'm perfectly happy with the G500. Just programmed all of my buttons and stuff. I find it works much better without the weights. It's plenty heavy enough as-is.

am i the only one that LOVES the logitech G3?

74383_logitech_g3_laser.jpg

Seems no one has chimed in on the mamba 2012 yet. Lots of love for the logitech mce but what about razers flagship mouse?

MX518 was great, connection died somehow (kept dropping and needed to be replugged).
It's replacement is apparently the G400, which is also great.

With regard to the G3, I'm not a huge fan of mice that have side buttons on both sides, I'd prefer to have ones that are all available to my thumb (like my G500, etc).

With regard to the G3, I'm not a huge fan of mice that have side buttons on both sides, I'd prefer to have ones that are all available to my thumb (like my G500, etc).

i NEVER even notice the button on the right side (i use my right hand). i believe the button on the other side is really only for lefties... sadly i can't find any replacements for my G3.

i like the G500 but it seems big and clunky after using the G3.

For all you lefties out there, I have only one recommendation: The Steelseries Sensei. Response is incredibly smooth, customization is at the utmost high end (no mouse compares), and it's shape is in my opinion the best of the mice us lefties can use. When I was gaming right handed though, nothing topped the G5/G400/MX518 shaped mice. My recommendation for entry is still G400 for righties. I don't care much for the G500, though for some reason.

i am using logitech G500 and its awesome. good grip and nice functions. also used Razer Naga... but too many useless buttons.

Congrats!!!

I have G500 and love it. It is my back up for the.... wait for it.... G700.

I highly recommend both.

I am currently using a G5 v2. The G500 i looked at for a long time, which made much needed improvements over the G5 (mainly the placement of the DPI buttons)

Tho i just ordered with my new rig a G700, because i wanted the option to go wireless if i wanted, and the programmable Marco buttons. (I mainly play MMO's so they will be handy)

Glad to see a recommendation for the 700 tho :) and yes the G5 will be my backup for the 700, tho the fact that the 700 can be plugged in and used as a wired mouse should make it moot :)

I'm perfectly happy with the G500. Just programmed all of my buttons and stuff. I find it works much better without the weights. It's plenty heavy enough as-is.

You still in Paris?

I couldn't imagine it being a difficult mouse to find in any developed country.

(Paris not being in a developed country :p)

+1
true man.. somebody must have really huge hands to use the weights. at starting i put some weights in the mouse and i was like" yaa man! my mouse has extra weights, i can customize it in whatever way i want:cool:", but after few weeks and some 18-20 hours straight sitting on my pc, i was like "man! logitech wants to break my wrist":rofl:
now the weights are back in there fancy cover.

Back