• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG was playing crysis, i herd a pop sound and my computer turned off....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
okay, opened my psu and cannot see no burn marks everything seems to be okay lol exactly how do i tel? lol btw can a motherboard make a pop sound or only psu's do that?

i suggest u put ur PSU cover back on b4 u get taken away in a body bag, no offense but u dont have the skills to take a psu apart, as im sure u didnt even bother discharging it......i think for u taking it somewhere would b the best thing u have ever done for your self

Duke

Last edited:
BTW u didnt need to even take it apart if the psu is fried u can smell it, and like i said im sure the problem has 2 do with u just throwing the mother board in the case and u shorted something out by not removing the stand offs that u didnt need

Duke

I believe I mentioned to look at for broken or swollen caps, burn marks, etc. This goes for you PSU and motherboard. You can check your videocard as well.

Duke, in his own special way, is right (in both his posts). I just said to look in the PSU :)!! You can get hurt pretty bad if you dont discharge and touch the wrong thing in a PSU!!! Be careful man!

and i am going to bet that it is his Mobo, at least based on his other thread about him installing it using only 2 standoffs so pretty much the whole mobo was touching his mobo tray, tbh idk how the hell it worked for that long like that....

Duke

Anything with a capacitor can make a pop sound and fail.
My motherboard power chip popped as well when it blow out, along with throwing a few sparks around. It looked kinda' like a sparkler there for a second or two. :eek: Hard to see the mark it made, though - just a small (maybe) 2mm dot of flat black on the semi-gloss black background of a 52mm microchip ...

and i am going to bet that it is his Mobo, at least based on his other thread about him installing it using only 2 standoffs so pretty much the whole mobo was touching his mobo tray, tbh idk how the hell it worked for that long like that....

Duke

Oh. Yeah that explains it.

Look at the back side of your mobo. It may be well roasted.

That is also true a microchip that is being sohrted can also do some strange stuff, mostly just arc and spark and make weird hissing noises (ahh electronics class with 12v 1000uf caps plugging them in 220 ac.....then running luls, the teacher never did like that.....)

Duke

Back