• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An inability to Boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkWhite

Okay here's my situation:
I was OCing last night, and I had just bumped up my mulitplier, and ran a stability test. It failed (no surprise) and the system rebooted just fine, all the way into windows. I shut it down intending to take it down a step, and hit the power button. The hard drive spins up, my fans are running (faster than they usually do during boot), my video cards fan is running, and lit, my sound card is lit, the motherboard is lit, but no post.
I tried clearing the CMOS, no help. I'm hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot it, I'll try your suggestions when I get home from school.

If just clearing CMOS didn't work. Then try this.. disconnect all power connections from PSU to the M/B, remove the CMOS battery AND move the CLR jumper to the CLR position and leave it for about 10-20 mins and then re-connect everything. It's strange but it's happened to some people here where just trying to clear CMOS doesn't simply work, but this method has worked numerous times.. some people might even say leave it like that for a few hours. That should hopefully get it back up and running at defaults.

Also, as an add-on to what Para said, after u move your clear CMOS jumper push and hold your power on switch for about 15 seconds b4 u let it set for 10-20 minutes, i have also found that if u just un-plug the psu from the wall u don't need to unplug your mother board connections, altho u might have to let it sit for longer (i found if u unplug your psu from the wall and immediately hit the power switch on your comp it drains the PSU a lot faster)

Good luck

Duke

Okay, it's working again, I tried Paradox's suggestion and it worked, didn't see your suggestion DM.
What I ended up doing was removing battery, CMOS switch,turn off PSU hit power, then I left it.
Then I realised I'd been putting off Diagnosis on a couple other PC's cuz I didn't have an extra power cord, so I took this one, hit the power switch for good measure and left it for a half hour. And voila!

Back