• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cache clocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have an asrock extreme 9 with a 4790 K, when i first got the thing i could run 4.8 on the cores and 4.8 on the cache, I updated the A bios from 1.0 to 1.10 now I can only reach 4.6 on the cache, in the link below you will see that it was at 4.8-4.7, this I had chosen as my 24/7 clock, from the first boot from the bios update it will bsod with any load above 4.7 cache.
I have a B bios chip I can select, i know i can back up bios A to B, can i back up bios B to A?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7701981#post7701981

here is a snip of cinebench at 48x48

Attachments

• cinebench.JPG
    cinebench.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
Confused. Is this a question about cache speed or if you can flash your bios from the other bios?

To answer the latter, yes. Boot to a functional bios, then flip the switch, flash it. ;)

As far as cache. I never touch it. Never. Even at 6.3ghz that thing was on auto. I haven't Seen any notable performance increases from it either... But certainly willing to look at links showing them!

I would like to get bios chip "A" back to the bios this board was delivered with, I updated the bios with the flasher in the bios itself, if this only updated the active bios, which was "A" then will I be able to , shutdown, move the swich to "B", boot into bios and backup, "B" to "A"?

I would like to get bios chip "A" back to the bios this board was delivered with, I updated the bios with the flasher in the bios itself, if this only updated the active bios, which was "A" then will I be able to , shutdown, move the swich to "B", boot into bios and backup, "B" to "A"?
Perhaps I was not clear...

Go into the bios once there, flip the switch to the bios you want to flash, and flash.

ok that flashed, now the cache clocks, so a higher cache clock buys nothing, just leave it at stock?

here is 4.4 and 4.6

Attachments

• 44cache.JPG
    44cache.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 46cache.JPG
    46cache.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 74
Difference is too low to say if it's really helping. In some benchmarks you can see slightly higher results but in general you raise or lower cache to stabilize CPU at optimal clock. Depends from CPU and board there has to be some clock difference between CPU and cache. In early reviews and guides all were saying that optimal is 200-300MHz lower cache clock than CPU. In real you can run it with 1GHz difference but some CPUs just hate too high cache clock.
If I'm right then cache clock affects only L3 cache.

In general you can keep cache clock at auto as most boards will set optimal values.

If you want higher performance at least for benchmarks then set cache clock ~200MHz lower than CPU and try to overclock memory some more. I have no idea what modules you have there but most 2400 CL10 kits can make 2600+ or run at 2400 with tighter timings. Most haswells are running with Command Rate 1N on any memory kit configuration. I can use my Patriot 4x8GB 2400 memory @2666 11-13-13 1N without issues. It's just one thing that isn't possible on most AMD setups.

I bet running cache at 47x/48x cache would be quite challenging for benching and even more so to run a daily "stable" type overclock... How much cache/ring voltage are you using to stabilize with at ~47x/48x?

Like Woomak said... Some samples really don't scale well with higher cache clocks.

that is shown in post #1.

Thanks... I missed the details in the system info screen before.

Your chip seems like it has a strong uncore. I don't think my sample would run/bench that high?

So are you able to run cache at 47x/48x again now that you've flashed the BIOS back?

Thanks... I missed the details in the system info screen before.

Your chip seems like it has a strong uncore. I don't think my sample would run/bench that high?

So are you able to run cache at 47x/48x again now that you've flashed the BIOS back?

His chip is generally unusually strong :)

His chip is generally unusually strong :)

Well I decided to test the uncore on my chip... And I was able to do Cinebench 48x/47x but 48x/48x seems too much??... (always ends in a freeze/hang). :(

Attachments

• 48x-47x cinebench 11.5.PNG
    48x-47x cinebench 11.5.PNG
    292.1 KB · Views: 37
now i can get to 47 with the reflash from the b chip or the download and 48 just crashes.

All have better DC than I have ... even Pentium G3258 seem clocking better above 4.7GHz than my 4690K. Btw. Pentium G3258 didn't like anything above x46 cache multi when I was testing it yesterday.

I swapped bios chip "a" from the spare board into this board and still can't get the cache to run 4.8, as soon as I hit it with any load at all it just bsod's, anybody got any idea why i was able to run it before?

It could have been a glitch somehow. You could try to flash it again with the bios you are using.. It might help but probably not. Are you sure everything is the same? All of your voltages, and other settings? Maybe you're chip is suffering from the "D" word. If it is I hope you kicked the crap out of it first, at least it would have been worth it.

Back