• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Recorders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1) Do you currently own a DVD Recorder if so is it DVD-R, DVD+R or another format ?
2) Are you happy with your current DVD Recorder ?
3) Are you currently considering buying a DVD Recorder ?
4) Does the information contained in this article change your thoughts on the buying a DVD Recorder... if so why
1) Yes, Pioneer DVR-106D (Same as Pioneer A06, just retail) DVD +/- 4x.
2) Yes.
3) I'm waiting for the dual layer burners.
4) No, I've been reading alot before I bought my current drive, I also have tons of CD's and I was getting sick of the space they take up and how long it takes to find the right CD, now I can make a DVD with the most often used programs and I no longer have to look for the CD's.

Originally posted by Pinky
though most just use the 7GB discs nowadays
Correction, ATM there are 4 standards:
1) DVD-5: Single layer, single sided 4.7GB
2) DVD-10: Single layer, double sided 9.4GB
3) DVD-9: Dual layer, single sided 8.5GB
4) DVD-18: Dual layer, double sided 17GB

Originally posted by Oni
I was considering it until I realized that they're about 3 different competing standards out, and that the ability to burn dual-layer discs is in fact, a feasable reality, which was the main reason keeping me from buying one in the first place. I still have an eye out for it, however. If they manage to finalize a standard in say, the next 6-months or so, I'll really start actively looking. If dual-layer burners are going to be a guaranteed reality in the next 12 months, I may just wait.
I thought about that too, but there are a few things that kept me from waiting:
1) Dual layer discs seem to be slightly thicker and may cause problems in some drives (Sorry no link, as a hardware failure (not sure what happened...yet) caused a major data loss).
2) Price, when DVD burners just came out not only the price for a burner was an issue (I've payed about the same amount for a CD burner, so that was not the real reason), but the real reason that kept me from buying a DVD burner back then was the price of the DVD R's, at ~$10 each it was a bit to steep for me, and I expect to see the same trend for dual layer DVD burners/DVD R's....well you know how it works with 'new' hardware.

I doubt there will be a final standard in the next 6 months or so, one of the reasons would be that some drives have a hard time reading DVD+ (To be more presice, there are more drives that are having problems reading DVD+, than there are drives that have problems reading DVD-), however some Xbox's seem to prefer DVD+, that would be a reason why both standards will exist for quite some time.

I'll guarantee that dual layer burners will be out in 2004, as Philips already showed their dual layer burner (DVD+R DL) at CES 2003 in Las Vegas, not to mention that Pioneer showed a DVR-A06 drive that could burn 'DVD-R DL' according to this article (In German!!!).

BTW: I live close to Philips Nijmegen (Europe's largest semi-conductor plant) and most of my friends have worked, or still work for Philips, so if I hear anything I'll let you know (I've seen a few things before that I wasn't supposed to see...it was their own mistake as they gave my friend a video).

BTW: I'm looking forward to flash my DVD burner with the 'experimental' firmware that Pioneer used (Cheap Dual layer burner:D )....let it leak.

1) Yes, DVD-R:4x, DVD+R:4x, DVD-RW:2x and DVD+RW:2.4x
2) Yes, but I haven't really used it to burn to many dvds
3) No
4) No. Stuff on paper will always make things in production look obsolete. So I only consider released technology.

Pinky said:

You volunteering to write this?? :D

its not hard

1. use dvd decryptor to rip dvd to hdd

2. use dvd shrink to compress and or reauthor files ripped in step 1, you can also remove unwanted extras and languages at this point

3. burn to disk with nero or some other burning tool (I prefer imgtoolburn)

this is not rocket science people...

dont use dvd x copy, it is a pretty ghey program with limited capabilities

I have a Plextor 708A that works well for me. The early firmware (1.1) had compatibility problems with some media, but they fixed that in a hurry.

I don't really need anything faster - it'll burn an 8x disc in under 10mins so that's fine for me.

I'm still not that keen on the whole CD/DVD medium - way too easy to scratch if you ask me.

I bought the Pioneer A03 in 2000 for over $650 for work projects. It was a dvd-rw 2x drive and worked great but teh wrote time was sometimes unbearable. I just recently spent $150 on a sony DRU-530A. What a MAJOR change. this thing is so fast I could not ask for more. I love it. Have not burned one coaster yet. so to answer the number questions:

1. Yes; 8x DVD+-RW (Sony DRU 530A 8X+R/RW 4X-R/RW)

2. Yes; Very Happy

3. NO

4. Not really

1) Do you currently own a DVD Recorder if so is it DVD-R, DVD+R or another format ?
4) Does the information contained in this article change your thoughts on the buying a DVD Recorder... if so why

1. Not currently
2. NA
3. Yes
4. Yes...I've been waiting for the new generation to come out on the DVD recorders. When they first came out, man they were expensive! It was a great wave of new feelings for me, knowing that even more data can fit on a disc. Now we can back up our whole hard drives! However, waiting for the speed to come up has been a patient one...and now I'm going to be searching for the faster ones when they come out! :p

ive got an 8x dual format lite on thats been great with me. I love it. I just wish the media was a bit cheaper

1. No
2. n/a
3. yes
4. No. Speed is not really such an issue for me. I believe the prices of the dvd-r's will have pretty much settled, and any drops will come slowly. I'm rarely in such a hurry that I could'nt wait for another 8 minutes for the dvd to burn. :)

I'm waiting for decent dual layer burners. I might never burn one but it's nice to have the option.

According to a recent CNN.com article, which interviewed Sony and Phillips, the burners will burn a full 8.5Gb in about 45 minutes. Dual layer discs will cost about $6 initially, not $15, at least according to Sony.

if you want a dvd drive and want all formats get a dvd- not a dvd+ because if u use DVD X COPY you can use a option to make a dvd- write dvd+ its a cool feature

and yes i own a dvd burner lg multie drive (or some crap)

no im not hapy with it because it takes so long to burn dvd's it's a pain to rip a rented dvd from the store (compretion ect) and even after i burt one it would only play in computers not my dvd player so i have to now try my ps2 (i hear they play riped dvd's)

the onther 2 Q's are N/A

1) Yes I own a TDK external USB2.0 drive that writes to DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW.

2) I am relatively happy with it. I still have not taught myself how to correctly encode and edit DVD formatted movies, so it gets a little frustrating at times. Compression also takes quite a while, which tends to bug me.....but I will get the hang of it sooner or later. ;)

3) Not Applicable

4) Not Applicable

A) Yes, DVR-104 DVD-RW

A) Yes, sort of

3) Are you currently considering buying a [new] DVD Recorder ?

A) Yes, I'm going to buy a new dual-layer/format between Thanksgiving Day and next March & a new plextor cd-rw, unless the dual-layer&formats support C2 error recovery, DAO-96, RAW, etc (like the best of the cd-rw's)

A) It was more of a heads-up than a startling wakeup call. The only reason I want more than 2x is due to lint and hair ALWAYS getting sucked into the drive and sticking to the dvd-r while it's burning. Granted those spots just look a bit discolored and can be read fine, it just shouldn't happen. There's also the problem with media. Being located in the midwest, theres very little good 4x dvd-r's, let alone any 8x. They also keep overloading on dvd+r and always run out of dvd-r - hence few sales on that media around here. I really wish +rw would have died before 2.4x. The fact that the main backers behind +rw were the first to make dual-format drives should have told you all something...

I remember being one of the first people I knew who had a cd burner. It was a $160 2x bought around the time the Rocket 8x cdr-only drive came out. I learned about patience then, and always knew media was the weak link for fast burners. ATM I use TDK's at 1x; usually I click to burn then do some stuff I need to do. The cost of useful 8x media will outweigh their speed advantage for a while. The story for dual-layer discs is even worse. With the state of dvd transcoders today, very few movies even need dual layer - assuming you don't save the extras or multiple subs/audio tracks, or put them on a 2nd disc. The people who'd pick dual-layer over transcoding to 4500mb's are the same people who can't/won't want to spend as much for the media as they could for the same movie used from Amazon.

Also, I hope they don't put tiny 128k caches on the dual-format burners, and instead opt for a huge buffer.

For syberspy@school: most cheap dvd players don't like dvd-r or +r discs anyways. I'd also stay away from DVDXCopy, mainly because DVDShrink is *much* better, and other programs can do the same things DVDXCopy can...for free. My PS2 is very good at reading all dvd-r movies, but I believe that's mainly due to the chip I installed. I can definately say that, with a Messiah2 pro, a v7 ps2 can read any dvd-r game/movie, as well as my dvd-rw 'test disc'.

Personally I love my DVD recorder it literally does everything, DVD+/-R 4x, DVD+/-RW 2x, CDR 40x, CDRW 24x, DVD 16x and, CD 52x and it was only 120$, I either got it on newegg.com or TCWO.com a local computer part place... forget.

1.--no
2.--n/a
3.--yes
4.--no
I plan on buying one soon anyways Liteon is my brand and I like them good product.

I bought a Sony 8x DVD burner a few weeks ago. Had some big issues with it... It wouldn't burn anything correctly. Tried it in two different machines, with 3 different types of media (+RW, and two types of -R). Everything I burned had CRC errors on it.

So I returned it and exchanged it for a LG 8x DVD burner. It seemed to do the same thing, in two different computers. I tried 4 different types of media. (same 3 above, plus another "known-good" -R media). This burner would verify everything correctly, and would read it's own burns fine. My old DVD rom would read about half the files, the rest would be CRC errors. any other DVD rom I could find would not even recognize the DVD.

So far DVD burners have not impressed me :( I'll wait for some fast dual layer before I try again. A faster burner is nice... right now I only have a 12x CD burner, (10 minutes), and that's good enough for me. However, I don't want to wait hours to burn a DVD.

I have a DVD/CD-R/W now but the next drive will be a decent dual layer DVD burner. I'm waiting for the right burners to come out that will catch up to the technology's potential.

I think I'm going to get the Sony dual layer drive shortly after it hits the stores.

YAY...finally got one of these drives in my rig. First thing I did w/ it was convert my Unattended WinXP Pro disk into an Unattended DVD... :D

Cool as all heck to pop the DVD in, whack the space bar at the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, and come back an hour later to a nice fresh install that includes OfficeXP, Photoshop7 and a dozen or so other apps. :cool:

anywho...

1) Yes. YAY!
2) Yes.
3) Not anymore...LOL
4) Made me hold off for a while for an 8X DVD+/-RW drive. Glad I did.

B.

Back