• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bringing the Pentium-M to the desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
datura3 said:
well if you messed up the power pin it's easy to tell if the chip is getting power. This may sound like a bad idea, but it will give you the answer. If you disconnect the floppy adapter the chip does not get power. Boot up and put a temp probe on your chip. If it gets hot, then you did not mess up the floppy power connector and thus you have another problem. If you disconnect the floppy adapter you won't get a boot and the chip will not get hot.
you were right *whew*
it was a problem with the power adaptor.
i was sooo freaked out for the past day...

anyways, i'm totally hitting a wall now, can't really get even up to 2400...is this just a major lemon, or is there something i'm doing wrong :shrug:

Lat said:
anyways, i'm totally hitting a wall now, can't really get even up to 2400...is this just a major lemon, or is there something i'm doing wrong :shrug:

How is your ram doing? Are you booting at at least 201fsb?

booting at 201x9, ram is well under 200 (gj dividers)...

my invisible wall seems to be around 2320...hitting around or below there at all multipliers

perhaps it's a lemon

bleagh said:
Just got my 750, adapter, p4p800se up and running...

Put it all together last night, it ran. Played a bit with trying to overclock (200 FSB). It ran, but had some problems. At first I thought it was the CPU, but now I'm thinking it was maybe the RAM.

So today I just set everything back to default (FSB at 133, CPU at 1.86 GHz, RAM at 177). Installed windows proper (reformat and new install). And basically got it ready for a more proper overclocking attempt (rather than the quick and dirty thing I did last night...).

So tomorrow I'll loosen up the RAM timings a bit (currently on auto which sets 2-2-2-5) and try again. Figured I would spend the rest of this night checking out some forums...

try dropping the multiplier to 13. you'll be very lucky indeed to run it at 200x14 on the stock cooler. 200x13 is a more realistic target. :)

lowfat said:
you booted @ 2800MHz? wow. mine sure can't do that

my 740 is 1mb pi stable at 2.8 (216x13) with the stock ct479 cooler.

not stable for much else though. :p

good going man; please remember though, booting at 200 fsb is much more difficult than booting at 201.

i have a suspition that performance mode is T1/T2 memory latency equivalent of what we had with nf2 chipset. it's less pronouced with intel chipsets though.

anywho, to learn what your cpu can do just set the fsb to 201 and ram to 320 or even 266 so it doesn't affect your overclock. climb from there and see what it gets you.

Chip: 1.5 400FSB
Motherboard: P4P800-E DLX
RAM: 2x256MB twinx corsair 3200XL(2225 210Mhz max.)
Videocard: Elsa Geforce 2 MX :p
Cooling: CT479 Stock after half an hour of sandpaper.
Current Speed: 2490.3Mhz (166x15)
Max FSB / CPU clock: 200Mhz(doesnt boot for now) so I dont know if it's corsair limit.
Current Voltage: 1.4v(on bios) but 1.36 on cpuZ
S-code / stepping / pack date: SL7GL

I just go problem to boost Vdram and Vcore.

nrj-dna said:
Chip: 1.5 400FSB
Max FSB / CPU clock: 200Mhz(doesnt boot for now) so I dont know if it's corsair limit.

The 400FSB chips can never do 800FSB at ANY multiplier. They usually crap out at around 165-185mhz. 200mhz has never been done with these chips, that's the problem with them.

I got a major problem now. Today I go and put my clock to 14X133 which is stock. Won't boot. clear the cmos, it boots, set the bios settings back to normal, won't boot. Clear cmos again, let all the settings normal. Restarted, won't boot. It will boot once only after a CMOS clear, next time you restart it, it refuses to boot. The only way to get into windows was by using defaults, and not going into the bios. Running at a whopping 600MHz. YAY!.

I did some searching on XS.org and found out a bit of info. Seems that there some people who have had problems with P4C800s w/ the P4C800-e 1023ed bios with not booting with the CT-479 with the jumper set to 533, changing it to 400MHz seems to work fine. Now my problem is that i already cut the jumpers off and soldered them :( I am going to try flashing the bios to a P4P800SE bios as soon as Asus' FTP site comes back online. Hopefully that is going to work, if not i guess i am going to have to resolder the CT-479.

got new cpu today, pm780.
tested out with spi1M, max with inbox/def vcore - 2749MHz, max with inbox/1.6v - 2966MHz, max with water/1.7v - 3127MHz and max with cold water (~8C) - 3200MHz
max superpi shot - 23.093
ran 1M at that speed many many times, every time 22sec run was on the way, superpi crashed at loop 19 :)
currently primeing at 2.8ghz (inbox)

3300.png

*Another* new dothan!
Chip: 1.86 533FSB
Motherboard: P4C800 DLX (note non E, old rev board)
RAM: 2*256 BH5 or 2*256 Ballistix
Videocard: Various
Cooling: Stock air
Current Speed: 2500 (210*12)
Max FSB / CPU clock: 255*11 (2805)
Current Voltage: 1.6v
S-code / stepping / pack date: Will get when the coolers next removed

Chips got more in it, its run 2.86 24/7 on water in the previous owners board. He's had close to 3ghz from it for short preiods. Need to get some better cooling on it and try again ;)

caater said:
got new cpu today, pm780.
tested out with spi1M, max with inbox/def vcore - 2749MHz, max with inbox/1.6v - 2966MHz, max with water/1.7v - 3127MHz and max with cold water (~8C) - 3200MHz
max superpi shot - 23.093
ran 1M at that speed many many times, every time 22sec run was on the way, superpi crashed at loop 19 :)
currently primeing at 2.8ghz (inbox)

3300.png

:thup:

lowfat said:
a 780? hola didn't know they even made those, those are some insane clocks though. congrats. Can't wait to see some benchmark scores.
unfortunately i don't have a video card to match so i did 3dmarks with 9600xt..
to my surprise, 03 and 05 are the best 9600 (and rv*** series) scores in ORB..

3dmark2001 - 21118 - ORB - SCREEN
3dmark03 - 5956 - ORB - SCREEN
3dmark05 - 2905 - ORB - SCREEN

Back