• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now concerned about airflow...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

So I received my GTX 670 yesterday and my True Spirit 140 came today so I'm really ready to Overclock to my hearts content but something accrued to me. I'm pretty sure I've got bad airflow in my case.

This is the case I'm using.

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/842...iews/reviews.htm?sort=contributorRank&dir=asc

more pics of it

http://computercases.productwiki.com/rocketfish-aluminum-full-tower/

and as you can see there is only 1 intake fan in the front, and with the door closed that intake fan it doesn't get the best options. I have my PSU upside down so it's taking air from inside the case and pushing it out. I've also got a fan on the back pushing air out and a slot fan that came with the case that go's over the video cards that push air out.

Any thoughts on how I can get more fan inputs?

EDIT : Fan Inputs is NOT what I ment, better/proper airflow IS. What was I doing when I wrote that? Lol. I just don't like how I have to run my PC with the door open just to get some airflow. It's such an open/spacious case too!

Last edited:
you can get a 38mm fan that pulls in crazy air if noise is not a problem.

Have you tried letting your power supply pull in cool air from the bottom ? Since heat rises it may be worth the time to experiment with keeping the power supply as cool as possible. I have no idea if it will help or not , but it certainly seems worth a try.

You need better fans. I'm sure that case is pretty quiet. Cut out any metal mesh and remove any filters in front of the fans, get some better fans. Not much you can do really.

You have an aftermarket air cooler on the CPU? That's always the first thing to get.

And I looked more into that case. Nice, but not made for performance. You got a 670 and want to overclock your CPU. Maybe you got to much power in that little box, and need a new box to handle it.

Even an Antec 902 would be fine, or a 1200. Not that expensive.

Lol little? This thing is huge lol!

Yes, I have just got my True Spirit 140 in the mail. I'll try turning the PSU around to pull air in from the bottom vents, but I'll have to prop my case up a bit to get airflow in. The case doesn't have any feet and is on carpet :p

Noise isn't a problem, but the more I mess with it the more I think I may need to do some moding to allow another source of air input. Only having 1 input and 4 outputs I'm sure I've got some serious negative air pressure going on here. I'm just afraid to take a blade to this thing, it's such a nice solid looking case. :p Maybe some sort of fan intake that can go where the 5 1/2 drive pays are?

I'm not sure he actually meant it was little other than just an offhand term, but personally I think I'd still rather use my 1200 or a HAF over it myself just for airflow unless you're going to water cool it I guess.

Just my two cents :)

Lol I know, I was kidding back. :p

I ended up taking the fan that was over the video card and placing it where the lower HD bay is. There are vents down there. I then turned it around so that air was being sucked in from the vents and pushed into the case giving me 2 inputs. I turned the PSU back around so it was also sucking air in from the lower vents and pushing it out of the case. This gives me 2 inputs and 1 large out at the top, it seems to work better.

Thanks for the input. Only other think I could do at this point would be to cut a hole in the top for a radiator/fan setup but I think I'm just gonna leave it be.

Back